1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus Ultramount Hook/Pin dis-engaged

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by scottL, Jan 26, 2008.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I was out plowing today and I noticed some awkward movement and grinding after an hour of plowing. When I checked it out I noticed that one of the hooks which hold the plow to the frame dis-engaged! I know for sure when I put the plow on -before- the snow I always listen for the click of the pin engaging and I tug/pull on the hook handle to double check.

Anyone want to guess how painful that was to re-hook ( don't bother )..... Anyway, anyone ever run into this????????

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have not encountered that problem with my MVP but I did have that problem several times with my old 8' ultra mount straight blade.

I came to the conclusion that I was just trying to stack too high and it was snapping the pin off. Perhaps that's your problem as well...?

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I see this as a common problem on ultra mounts at the shop I work at. Its usually from not checking to see if the pin was locked in place. But I also have seen it from the pivot bolt coming loose letting the leg twist and knocking the pin out. Make sure that the leg is Snug when you raise and lower it.

At least you're lucky and didn't twist and bend the leg they are about $175 or so plus $25 for the foot. This usually happend when the legs falls down.

4. scottL

I do stack the snow high ( as high as the plow will allow ) but, after several snow storms this is the first of this problem....

itsgottobegreen;
    How can I check or what should I look for in the pivot bolt???

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I noticed that mine was unhooked once this year. I thought when I hooked it up that it might not have clicked in place. I tried to pull it up and down and when it didn't move I thought it was in. I have the legs tight so that might of made me think it was in. I was only doing clean ups so I was plowing pretty slow, lucky for me.

6. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I have noticed this as well, just make sure the pivot bolt is snug. Any separation could result in the pin coming out of the locking hole. Tighten it up and check it after every event. I have also noticed snow buildup and could possibly pull the pin out. JMO

Jon

7. itsgottobegreen

You need a 1 1/8" and 1 1/16" wrench to turn the bolt and nut that the leg swings on. It should be tighten till you have to really yank on the handle to get it to swing up or down.

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I too have seen this happen several times, and come to think of it, always on a straight blade. That is why I really have no interest in getting an ultramount. I have got mounting my unimount down to a science.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And a touch of Locktite goes a long way too..

This isn't that uncommon of a problem on plows that aren't regularly inspected or serviced by guys who know what to look for.

It should have been a bit better of a design on the pivot arrangement since the plow is totally relying on the hook to stay attached to the truck to keep the plow attached, and all it takes is the pivot nut to be loose enough for it to move outward far enough for the lock pin to pop out.

10. scottL

I looked at the pivot nut/bolt. There are two nuts on the single bolt to keep it tight and from backing out. The side feet seem tight. It seems to have normal play from what I knew when I got the plow new this season and there appears to be no loosening. I did look at the pin which has a spring to keep it engaged. I'm wondering if this spring is not strong enough to do it's job?

It seems a number of people have this issue with the plow coming off the truck.... Is it just me or is this not a HUGE safety concern?????

11. itsgottobegreen

Well its does use a nyloc nut. But it really should be a castle nut with a cotter pin.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I know, I've seen one before. :D

100% agree...A few guys prefer a tack weld to keep them tight too..

13. scottL

I was able to tighten these two bolts by 1/8 turn. Looking at how this frame works and what the bolt doe I just don't see how this would allow the frame to ( I guess ) flex enough for the pin to be free.

Has anyone contacted Western about this?

14. scottL

Hey Guys,

I have contacted Western support. They are still thinking about the last set of pictures and thoughts we had exchanged.

What I have theorized on is that there could be a situation in which the twist of the frame can cause pressure to be placed on the locking pin of the leg's. This pressure could cause a walking out situation when ice may be pushed into the hole anb pin area. Given the pin only goes through the frame by 1/4inch this seems practical. I have seen the ice being packed into the hole and did test with a floor jack but, this is only a theory.

My thought is that the pin is too short in depth and the spring too weak to keep the leg locked in during this unique situation. In an unloaded situation the spring does hold the pin in place and by design you would think by looking at it there is not the need for a more beefer approach.

After spending considerable time looking at the problem I had an O' duh moment. Just above the locking pin there is a hole drilled through the leg and the frame. ( see pict's ). I went and bought a 1/2inch by 4 3/4inch Hitch Pin. This seems to work fine as a safety pin in case the main lock pin should dis-engage again.

I'm hoping Western will continue to address the core problem with me and put out some type of safety notice to the users affected.

side safety pin.JPG

top down safety pin.JPG

15. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Nice idea Scott.

16. itsgottobegreen

If you really want to know whats that pin for. Its to put a class 1 locking hitch pin in. When the plow is being stored. So someone just can't come up and steal it. Try to lift the leg and won't go up all the way to lock in. :D