1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus not functioning

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Cormegfarms, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Cormegfarms

Cormegfarms Junior Member
    from WI

I plowed a driveway this morning and got back to the shop and the plow will do nothing. The power light on the controller flashes continuously. It won't go up, down, left or right. I tried wiggling the wire harnesses to no avail Checked to make sure battery connections were good and they seemed ok. Any thoughts?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Unplug and replug. Flashing light usually a sign of lost communication to plow

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

MVP+ has two small pins in the big plug that send and receive signals between the controller and the plow. Have a good look at those two little pins in the plug, make sure they are not bent. Put a bit of dielectric grease on the plug before reconnecting it.

Make sure the red cable from the big plug is connected directly to the battery + post or as close to it as possible. It shouldn't be be behind a fuse or anything. Make sure the black cable is on the battery negative post or a good clean spot on the engine block.

Also check the plug where your controller plugs into the control harness. It will be a little four pin white plug at the end of the curly cord of your controller. I always leave about four inches of cable hanging off the bottom of the dash just above the gas pedal so you can see it to connect and disconnect but not long enough to get caught under your feet. Check the four pins.

That flashing red light is exactly what the system will do if you only plug in the headlight plug so if any one of the wires going through that big battery, always hot, cable are broken the red light will flash. Of course if your cable has been hit or pinched and one of those two small wires has been broken that will do it too so run your hand along the wires right from the plow housing to the plug and then from the plug to the grill. Feel for damage and if there is any see if one of the two small wires is compromised. If the insulation is ruptured moisture gets in and the copper will corrode. You can cut into the sheathing and cut out a damaged point and then crimp in a couple inches of new wire to bridge the gap. This wire is what they call twisted pair but you can make a small patch.

One last thing I can think of is a black four pin plug that comes off your plow main power cables just as the sheathing starts (black cable covering) Follow your battery + cable from the pos post and look for about four inches of four small wires that also go into the sheathing. There will be a black plug that is supposed to connect to the control harness. This is where the two communication wires join the plow to the controller in the cab. If that plug is damaged or not seated fully your communication will be interrupted.

If all those things check out OK you could try another controller. If that makes no difference you need a new plow side controller or decoder. It's under the black plastic cover on the passenger side of the plow. A black box about 4" X 6".

4. Cormegfarms

Cormegfarms Junior Member
    from WI

Update from my problem, there was a wire broke right where the controller plugs into the harness in the cab. also, mice had chewed into the same harness where it goes through the firewall. I got it temporarily fixed but will be ordering a new harness Monday.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Western needs to change the flavor of the wires so mice don't like them.
    Good to hear you found the problem.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Wisconsin is the cheese capital, that's like having Green Bay Packers playing in Hawaii