1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus leak

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NSDOT, Feb 6, 2010.

1. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Looks like it's coming from a hole on the base of the motor?? Possible?? Can't seem to see it on the outside of motor.....thoughts?? Thanks

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Is there a gasket there?

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yeah its possible. Its not really so much a gasket as it is a seal.

With a bad seal between the motor and hydros, it'll leak up into the shaft.

I had the dealer do mine since the whole assembly has to be taken apart...or so I was told.

4. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

I looked at it again since I took it off, can't see any fuild on the outside of the caseing , just drips off the bottom. The breather had pressure behind it, is that normal? Thanks

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If you've got an MVP plus, the motor is on the bottom... so it's actually upside down. When you say the fluid is coming from the base of the motor, do you mean the base as in where it mounts to the valve block?

6. twinman326

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The pressure is normal. That's how they keep it from sucking air - and moisture - in and out.

The hose fittings have o-rings where they screw into the manifold. The o-rings are prone to failing :angry:

8. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Thanks for the reponses, no fluid around the breather, and yes it seems to come though the base of the motor rather than the pump/motor split, it must be one of the o rings you mention. Just hard to see, I'll try a spotter today and put it though it's functions.

9. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

It is likely the seal between the motor and the hydralic pump. It will leak down through the armature and come out the bottom of the motor. It is about an hour job to do.

10. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Today I topped it up and tried it after I used it a steady heavy drip was coming from a hole in the base of the motor....so the seal between the motor and pump seems likely. How complex a job is this, I'm fairly competent, but will it puke out a bunch of springs and tiny bits when I split the motor and pump? Any advice I'm grateful for. Cheers

11. twinman326

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  12. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

Western has a kit which all dealers should have, It comes with a bolt and spacer to press the seal in nice and straight. Also, there is a protective cone that goes over the shaft so the new seal does not get harmed on re-asembly. I would recomend your dealer doing this. However if you are careful it can be done without the kit.

13. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Ordered that kit, (80 bucks!), and I think that will be the fix, thanks a whole lot for your help. It's a great source of info here!! Cheers, FMK

14. twinman326

Good luck with the repair

15. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Mission accomplished, seems to have worked. The seal did look distorted, the strange thing was in the kit I recieved from my dealer, the cap screw to make the puller wasn't long enough to reach the part that was supposed to seat the seal. I just used it as a driver to put the seal in place. Otherwise pretty straight forward, thanks again for the advice! Cheers, FMK

16. twinman326

glad everything work out for you..........Happy plowing........