1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP plus hand held?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Starboyz66FTP, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

recently bought a brand new mvp plus with the hand held controller, no problems as of yet but i hear are these stories about teh controllers going bad quickly, i was wondering if there is the same problem with the joystick, my dealer said i can bring the controller back for a joystick if i want, any opinions

2. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I have had the MVP handheld (it's mounted to the dash) for about 3 years now and have never, ever had a problem with it. Not sure if having it mounted lowers the possibility of having problems or not, but I really like mine and would not trade it for a joystick at any cost. JMO.

3. Keltic

Keltic Junior Member

We are on our 4th this winter, supposed to be a fix "coming" Cheers FMK

4. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

I've had my hand held for 4 years. It hangs by it's cord all yer long. Never had a problem.........Knock on wood.:D

5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Some were breaking the wires where they go into the controller, no problems with either of mine yet, but we don't use them as handhelds, they stay on the holder on the dash.

Bill

6. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

I have had two problems with my controller since I bought the plow in early december. the first one I had a loose connection where the controller connects under the dash, and I blew a fuse when the connection arched. an easy fix to replace the fuse. the second, the wire or wires where the they go into the controller broke. Western reimbursed me for the controller, but I had to fork over the cash until they decided if it was covered. all I can figure is mabe when I am holding it next to me I rest it on the seat bending the wires. either way it seems pretty flimsey. my other truck has a joystick controller mounted on my stick shifter and never in 10 years a problem. If i didnt like the v plow so much i would probably be pretty pissed.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had the problem with an MVP controller that I bought in December 2006.

It may be that they changed them from the older model hand held, and only the newer ones are having the issue.

I asked the dealer if the joystick had the same problem, because I wanted to switch. He said that it did, and that DD is working on a fix.

8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I know this isn't really the question at hand but will respond w/ somre input. I have a joystick controller on my MVP and a spring broke that controls keeps the joystick up in its position. It was a mechanical failure of sorts. The point is that they ALL have issues. I will say that, other than that, I don't really have any issues w/ my controller type. I do find it difficult at times to locate the odd positions for wing position. I feel Boss has a better controller but NOT a better blade.