1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus cutting edge "adjustment" to close center gap?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mkwl, Jan 5, 2015.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey Guys-

Just bought a new 8.5' MVP-plus- noticed that there is a 3/4-1-1/2" gap (depending on the position of the wings) between the cutting edges in the center. The dealer says this center gap is normal, but it looks to me like the center edge sections can be moved "closer" together (holes next to holes)- is this possible or is the gap normal and "just how it is"?

Thanks!

Matt

2. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Check the book...it can be adjusted but there is a procedure and a minimum.

Edit: sorry...look at the MVP3 manual HERE page 13...might not hold true for the Plus.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The new MVP+ and MVP3 both now come with non-adjustable center pieces. They used to come with two slotted holes but there was some copyright issue with Boss so now Western can't do that any more. You can modify them yourself with a die grinder or a torch (if you are good with oxy-acetylene). That gap is a real P.I.T.Ass and it leaves an unprofessional looking little line of snow behind. Drives me crazy....

When you look at page 13 of the link above you will notice that even the diagram show only one of the holes is slotted. All you can do is take up the slop in the bolt hole.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

One of the holes is slotted on the cutting edge and one is slotted on the frame...You CAN adjust it on the MVP3. :waving:

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I just helped a friend adjust his brand new mvp plus 9-6. It had about an 1 1/2 gap and no adjustment slots. Took the 2 center pcs off and cut slots in the plow using a die grinder. I got it to within a 1/4 inch, couldn't go any further because of an angle brace behind you wouldn't be able to get the socket on the nut. By slotting the plow you only have to do it one time, if you slot the cutting edge you will have to do it on every edge you replace.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Enlarging the holes in the frog (what the cutting edge bolts to) may be convenient to save a few minutes every time you replace the cutting edge but you will be weakening a piece of metal that is very expensive and laborious to change. The frog often gets bent as it is without enlarging the holes. Personally I would rather spend half an hour every two years modifying my center pieces than to comprimiize the frog.