1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus broken trip edge weld

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by crawla, Feb 6, 2016.

1. crawla

crawla Member

Noticed this tab was off my trip edge and the weld had no penetration. Should I worry that they all are going to fail or this is just a bad one and weld it back on?

20160206_163657.jpg

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would weld it back on ..... What would your alternative be???? Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to see what you are thinking?

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Still under warranty? If not rewarding and monitor other ones.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Re weld, typo.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Is the plow still under warranty?
    I'd suggest you send that pic to your dealer and to Western, it's obviously poor quality control and should replace part FOC.
    In the mean time clean up the area and weld it back together.

6. crawla

crawla Member

I know I have to weld it back on I just wasn't sure if this is common and they all are going to to it or just this one. This was my first Western plow, I have a Diamond trip edge that is over 10 years old and never had a weld break on it.

think its out of warranty, it was bought in the end of 2013 but we normally don't get many snow events here so its not used a lot.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You could say that again about old diamonds. Still using a 36 year old diamond blade and have been in my possession for 22 years. Try that with the newr paper thin plows.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Don't look like very good penetration on that there weld.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd email Western @ info@westernplows.com , include the pictures, a copy of the sales receipt, the plow serial number and request they get back to you with solution to the problem.

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I've rewelded the receivers after finding cracked welds, returned truck mounts because of crappy welds, had the d ring that limits the pivot bar break clean off due to a cold weld, and I noticed that a brace on the bottom of my trip edge has numerous cracks.

I'll be surprised if you get any satisfaction from western. I've sent pics in to them and their reply was "our quality control is stringent and nothing leaves the factory without inspection.."

And I'm the king of England.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

In looking at some new plows while taking a break at the local dunkin donuts, I can honestly say, who in the world is welding this stuff up. Do these company's just want someone that is breathing. No skill in following where the weld should be, no penetration and cold toes. Absolute junk. I have a minute mount1 headgear that I bought years ago when I did my diamond conversion and even those welds suck on that. Time to blast the crappy "powder peel coating" off and asses and re-do this crap after this season.

I had someone tell me the same thing on a scissor kit for my dump bed that I did.
    "our quality control is stringent and nothing leaves the factory without inspection". Then when I sent him pics of their missed and crappy welds ground off and my welds in place, he ended up sending me 30% of my money back. LOL.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  12. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Lol. I've seen demo models sitting outside of dealers with undercut so bad you could fit your fingernail all the way in the crack.

Seems like all it takes to get hired at DD is a heartbeat.

But what can you do but burn off the powder, grind, and reweld.

13. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Robots don't breath.

14. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Nope sure don't. But as a robotic welding programmer and a welder, we are responsible for checking robot weld quality. Its not the robot that gets suspended from work for defective parts.