1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mvp plus blade not straight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pfd9544, Jan 31, 2016.

1. pfd9544

pfd9544 Junior Member

8.5 foot mvp plus plow will not "flatten" out. when i look down the top of the blade, it is not totally straight. estimating it is off approx. 5 degrees. from what i can tell, i believe it is the passenger side wing. looked over the entire plow, and i don't believe anything is bent. plow is 5 years old, and this is the first season that i have noticed this. any ideas? anyway to adjust?

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You can move the wings independently to make it a straight blade. Or are you saying that the moldboard itself might be bent?

3. pfd9544

pfd9544 Junior Member

i can move wings independently.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Are the two blades not straight with each other? Or is it that the blade is off when suspended? If the two blades are not straight to each other then somethnig is bent. If it hangs wrong when suspended then maybe your lift chains are out a link. There are two chains to prevent the unit from hanging low on one side. They are never perfectly balanced from side to side. Both chains must be in the same spot in relation to the plow. I always count the left over links on the top.

If we arn't answering your question post a pick so we know exactly what you mean is not straight.

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

So just move the wing that needs to be adjusted. You may not get it exact. I either put mine in full scoop or full v and then bring it to a straight position.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Can you clarify about you're trying to convey?

7. pfd9544

pfd9544 Junior Member

mishnick....the blades are not straight to each other.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Still not clear on what line we are talkng about. Since the two blades are infinitetly movable forward and backward this is a mute point. If that's the problem it's just a matter of hitting the buttons until you get it right. If you mean when you look along the top of the two blades from side to side and see that they are not straight that way then it could be that your main hinge pin in the center, and / or the cast loops that the pin passes through are terribly worn. I have seen that on MVPs. Lift the unit off the ground and then put a jack under one wing and try to jack it up. First the whole thing will rotate on the swivel bar until it reaches the end of travel and then the wing you are jacking will continue to lift as it moves in the worn out space. That's what I expect your problem is.... This would manifest itself as both wings sagging down on the outter end when suspended. In straight blade configuration if you eyeballed down the top of the two blades it would appear to be high in the middle and low on both outter ends.... If that is the case you could replace the pivot pin to take up some slack but the other half of the wear will be in the hinge point loops. I suppse you could ream them / line bore and then put new bushing in to make the fit like new again with the new pin...

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Are the lift chains the same lenght.

10. pfd9544

pfd9544 Junior Member

i will try make my problem clearer. the wings are not sagging. i m talking about the v/scoop movement. that motion. if i try to make the blade straight, on a flat plain, and if i stand at the drivers side marker, look across the top of the blade toward the passenger side marker, the passenger side wing is not 100% straight. blade has not problem going from v to scoop. seems to be when the passenger side ram is fully extended, and the drivers side ram is fully retracted, the passenger side wing is off. when i try the same action with the passenger side ram fully retracted and the drivers side ram fully extended, i have the same issue on drivers side. its essentially in a ever so slight v shape. its only n the left and right angle position. so there is no option to move the wing "out" with the hand held controller.

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think that just may be how it is; just not exactly straight. Is it something that you looked at in prior years and it looked fine, and now it's different?

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Go to scoop, then extend one wing. Use the ←→ for straight plow

Does it really matter if one is a bit forward or behind?

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

For us ocds it does

14. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Right! I was so bummed out when my plow would raise faster on the left side and not the right. I found out just because you have the same amount of links don't matter. Put a few twists in the chain and all is good!

15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I had that problem, bought a 2 yr old mvp plus and one side hung lower than the other. I counted links and studied it, after a few minutes I figured out I have two different size chain links, who would of thought.