1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus biggest POS ever!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GETSOME!, Feb 3, 2008.

GETSOME! Junior Member

Once again my plow has let me down. I am thoroughly convinced that Western MVPs are junk. After six times to the shop in less than a year, the pump is now leaking hydraulic fluid. All at once, the plow was having trouble lifting itself up, so I got out to check. There was oil every where. I got it into my heated shop to take a better look at it. I unscrewed the filler plug and was surprised at the amount of pressure behind it. I have no idea how that much pressure was in there. Perhaps the idiots at my Western distributor didn't bleed the air out of the system when they recently fixed improperly seated relief valves, or they didn't follow the directions to fill it correctly.

Anyways, is it possible that the built up pressure was casuing fluid to blow past an O-ring somewhere?

Of course I don't have any extra fluid on hand to try, and its Sunday, so everyone that carries anything remotely close to plow hydraulic fluid is closed today. Thats about par for the course as I am in the middle of yet another 2-3 foot storm. Anyone think Western will buy my plow back and give me a new one as it seems I have a lemon? Knew I should of gone with a Fisher! :realmad:
  2. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

If there is a breather on the pump, it may be iced up and not breathing.
    This could be caused by taking it out from a heated shop into the cold, if there is moisture present inside/ around the breather, it may have iced up.
    I used to have a similar problem on a four wheeler I had, we would ride in the winter, the crankcase would build up pressure and spit oil back through the air filter. Honda generators are known for this, too. They make a cold air kit for them b/c it is such a problem.:cry:
    Just a thought. Hope it helps.:waving:
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry about your luck. You can buy hydraulic fluid at Home Depot and they're open right now. Granted you're not going to get "Western" oil but you'll be able to find something that works.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i have found on a couple occasions the pump sump filter's either fell off or were twisted out of position and aerated the oil ,pressurized the tank,cavitated the pump .
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I suppose your aware that even if you would have bought a Fisher, you would have the exact same pump? Different dealer maybe though...sometimes that makes all the difference.

Do you know for sure where was the fluid is leaking from?

Breather may have been froze like others mentioned. Or if this was the first use after being repaired they could have over filled it or not gotten the air out of it like you mentioned.
  6. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I have a fisher 8.5 extreme v, and have had no problems.....i can hear my breather "hissing" after moving the plow so I could possibly say that it may be froze if you cannot hear the air escaping after movement.
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I was just about to say the same thing. The MVP plus and X-EZV is the same plow basically, with a few minor differences . Sounds like a dealer issues or an operator issues.

GETSOME! Junior Member

I have been keeping the truck and plow outside under the cover of a hay barn, but it is still in the cold temps. I am aware the fisher and westerns have the same pump, but like mentioned I think it is the dealer. I can never get a straight answer from them. Thats the reason I wanted to get a Fisher...to deal with someone else. But in my area, there isn't a lot to choose from. Western Sno-Way, or Meyer. As for operator error, that is a non-issue. I am very anal about all of my equipment with the idea that it will last a long time if I do so...not the case with this plow obviously.

I am going to take it back to where I bought it tomorrow and have some words. There is a two year warrenty on Western plows right? One would think that a plow with less than a winter's worth of work under its belt would have not problems. Maybe thats just me and what I expect when I spend that kind of money on something.

Thanks for the suggestions on the breather. There wasn't any ice build up around it though.

GETSOME! Junior Member

Does a cavitated pump mean that its ruined? The ram and wings still operate, however very slowly and make an awful noise, much like it doesn't have fluid in it....which it doesn't hahahah
  10. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

Did you get it fixed?
  11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

My 07 MVP Plus has a lot of pressure under the cap too. I hope it's normal but, can't understand why it would have this pressure.

Contact Western Technical support. Bill Rather BRather@westernplows.com
    Good guy and has always worked with me on various issues.
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some pressure is normal in the reservoir.
  13. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

when a pump cavitate's it is starving for oil and will scream some time's you can lift the plow fine in the vee position ,then run it to full scoop position then it will scream when the pump run's out of oil ,check those filters .
  14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Good question, I didn't catch this in the manual..... What position should the plow be in to check the fluid levels? ( vee, scoop, straight, float with compressed upper piston, :dizzy: )

15. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

In Vee with the lift cylinders pushed the whole way down.
  16. GETSOME!

GETSOME! Junior Member

Yes, I got it fixed. Turns out the last time I had it to the dealer to fix it, they didn't seat a valve all the way and oil was blowing past it. I stood there and watched them put it back together. Good thing I did, because I would have had more problems if I did. They weren't going to tighten everything up AGAIN! They didn't even know that you have to have the plow in Vee position with the lift cylinder fully collapsed to add oil.
  17. GETSOME!

GETSOME! Junior Member

On a side note, I retract the statement of the MVP Plus being a POS, its my dealer thats a POS
  18. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Looks like its time to find a new dealer!
    Glad to hear its up and running again.
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Another case where the dealer makes all the difference as to the quality of the equipment purchased.

The best plow on the market isn't worth it's weight in scrap price if your dealer doesn't have the knowledge on it.. Same reason it's so tough to recommend a plow when someone ask's. I do find it interesting that guys will do the research on plows to decide which one is best for them, but never research the dealer that they may be buying from in order to see if they have the resources on hand to resolve an issue that may arise after the purchase..
  20. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

That is a signature worthy quote if I've ever read one. :)