1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP PLUS backdragging

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by skferreri, Dec 9, 2008.

1. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

I have a new mvp plus and when backdragging snow the wings collapse a little bit.Is this normal or is it a concern and thoughts??????:confused:

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Depends upon the weight of the snow and friction of the ground. When first new the wings didn't move any when back dragging. End of the season they collapsed by inches or more. Turned out there was dirt in the unit.

It should take a lot of effort before the wings give in a tiny tad is not a big deal by inches or more is.

3. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

the wings only move inches but its not every driveway,im thinking that its more of the friction of the payment when backdragging.u think its a concern to contact my dealer or is it some what normal

4. scottL

More than an inch or two I would take it in and have a fluid change and tell them and they will know what to look for. It does take a lot to have the wings fold in, even a little.

5. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

i just got it back from my dealer and they found some air pockets in the lines,i hope that fixed it

6. scottL

air pockets :confused: I always thought those got worked out after the first few full/empty cylinder pushes from the controller. Hope it works for you.

7. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

If this happens again im bringing it right back.I thought the same thing with the air pockets,but i tested on dry pavement and they didnt move at all.thanks for the info.

8. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

I have the MVP not the plus and no the air pockets do not come out in the first couple movements it took me a while to get out of mine. the other part are you trying to angle the plow while backdraging? cause i know mine will move alot if i do that

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I must have plowed close to 200 hours with my MVP Plus last year. Everytime I loosen the breather there is always air in there. First off I thought that the cap was vented and I don't know when the air is going to stop. It has not affected the operation at all so I am not worried about it.

10. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

CET does your plow wine like its low on fluid when you put it into a scoop?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not that I have noticed. I plowed today with the window down and didn't notice anything. Is yours low on fluid, when it is in scoop you have used the most fluid from the tank.

12. scottL

Yup ... if you change positions while back dradding the wings will fold a bit more.

To fill or check your reservoir you need to be on level ground, in vee position and have the lift cylinder pushed in. Otherwise you will over fill. Yes - there always seems to be air when releaving the cap.

13. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

this might sound like a dumb question, but are you suppost to undo the breather cap every so often to let some of the air out

14. scottL

nope. Nothing in the manual about such. It is suppose to breath under higher pressure - like a relief.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I undo mine all the time to let the air out. I am hoping one of these times there won't be any air.

16. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

Does anybody get a little bit of hydro fluid around the vent cap. There is always a little bit after a night of plowing.I think its from all the pressure under the cap

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If I were you I would put my plow in VEE and push the lift ram down and then check the fluid level. It sounds like you may have it too full.

18. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

I just got it back from my dealer and they said all fluid levels where good, but im going to check it my self tommorrow.I take it that u have no fluid by the cap when done plowing

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

No I don't have any fluid by the cap when done plowing.