1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP plow scratching driveways/parking lots

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by M&M Services, Dec 24, 2006.

1. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

We have an 8'6" MVP that on the last snowfall of last year and the only one of this year startd scratching driveways, scratching up the seal coat or even concrete drives..It is a Uni Mount only a few years old, still like new it has only been used a total of 5 times once this year 3 last year and once the year before ( it has been family owned since new) Any idea on why it is doing this??
    Mike

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What mode does it primarily scratch in? I could see the "V" mode and a bad attack angle causing some scratching, potentially caused by the lift, but I won't immediately jump to that conclusion.

3. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I have almost the same plow...I had no reports of scratching.
    I'm just wondering If ,when in the scoop position,the outer edge Is
    Cutting to the driveway??Just a thought
    I tell you what I did to my MPV Cutting edge...I cut the corner off both ends so It would not dig in to un even humps etc. take alook at your cutting edge and your will see what I meen.
    Daner

4. M&M Services

from midwest

It does it in the stragiht position..it is on my dads 05 F-250 stock height with a leveling kit...I should have stated that in my post...Let me know any thoughts..I did see what you were talking about on cutting the corners... Thanks for your help or suggestions,
    Mike

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Well the front end is not stock now I assume, because it's leveled. Can you drop the blade a hole to lessen the attack angle somehow?

6. M&M Services

from midwest

the plow frame is level since it has the ultra to uni conversion and it is adjusted..I just dont see what is casuing this...

7. ltlm

ltlm Member

take some pic so we can se how it sits on your truck with the blade on level ground.

8. ltlm

ltlm Member

are you just plowing res drives or commercial? i can show you what else to do.

9. M&M Services

from midwest

i will try and get a pic this weekend..all commercial with the MVP except my own and my neighbors driveway which it scratched up..any and all help is appreciated.
    Mike

10. property mgr

property mgr Junior Member

my cable plow scratches the seal coat also--I'm interested to hear the answer here

I have an isarmatic cable plow that scratches the seal coat also. I've only used it twice on a 35 car apartment lot. Lot is uneven with several repaired areas which catch the plow. I thought the scratching was probably normal but I also wanted to hear what clearance everyone ran their plow off the ground using the washer spacers and discs skids on the back side of the plow. My plow appears to be riding directly on the ground--not on the disc skids.

Similar question?

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm, that's what happens when steel contacts stone\asphalt\concrete\sealcoat at 'high' speeds. 2 hard materials coming into contact with one another.

Either don't worry about it or get a urethane edge if it's a big deal.

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

you should see what mine does to the really old drives :D I peeled up a two foot section of top coat, he he, good thing that one was on my driveway.

Mark is right, steel cutting edges are going to scratch, the urethane will be nicer, just I believe the steel gets the hardpack better. But if your doing commercial your plowing with the storm and that probably won't be a problem.

13. M&M Services

from midwest

thanks for the help guys..its not gouging it, just scraping off the seal coat..both ours and the neighbors driveway were just sealed at the end of summer..I'm not going to worry about it...:drinkup: now we just need snow!