1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP plow on 09 F150

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Guy JR, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Guy JR

Guy JR Junior Member

Good day everyone, I hope this topic has not been beat to death. We have a 06 F250 that has given us nothing but problems. We have decided to get rid of it but we dont want to replace it with a another heavy duty truck as the only time that we need somthing that big is to run the plow. All we plow is with said truck is our small parking area in front of our shop, no commercial or heavy duty plowing. We have a backhoe with a box blade in the yard to do the heavy pushing. I want to keep the v-plow as it does a nice neet clean job and we have a 09 F150 that we could put this plow on. What kind of issues would I have running this plow on a light duty basis? My western dealer told me he could install it but would close his complaint department if we had him swap trucks. Will this plow just tear up the F150 or will I be ok in a light duty application?
  2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I think that plow would be impossibly heavy for that 09 F150. when I punch that one in quickmatch even with the best case scenario (reg cab, 8' box, 4.6L, 3750 fgawr), it just comes up with an HTS or Suburbanite. So, not even the 'normal' straight blades like midweight. And if you have a bigger cab, bigger engine, shorter box, or lighter fgawr, then you are even worse off.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think it would be much too heavy for it; doesn't matter if your plowing just a small area or not.

My 8.5' MVP weighs just under 1,000 lbs I think (including the truck side frame).

Not sure if the plow mount would even fit on an F150, but I'm no mechanic.

In the end, the risk is that you beat up the F150 in terms of possibly wearing it out quickly or maybe breaking something, so if you're fine with that, then go for it!
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have seen people put a pro-plow on a jeep! Not recommended and vertually useless in the end but they insisted the vehicle never left the parking lot, wasn't even registered and in the end, said it worked great! Point is you can make anything work with enough beefing up and modification. However; the recommendations from Western are not only for practicality, they are for safety. Here in Canada the department of transportation set up road side checks where they check comercial vehicles for weight. When they pull you over they simply look at the weights on the factory sticker and then compare it to the actual weight by driving the truck on a set of portable scales. If your plow is too big for the truck they tow your truck and give you a stiff fine. So if you have anything like that where you are and you plan to drive on public roads you might reconsider. Also consider that your front end is going to need to be beefed up to handle that weight. That V plow is very heavy to begin with so be prepared for your F150 frame and front end to take a beating. It may fit and you may get it to work but it won't last. Remember that plowing snow is like a non-stop collision with the snowbank. Even the big super dutys get destroyed pretty quick when used as plow trucks. My advice would be to go to an auction and find a good used gas enging truck that is big enough to handle the V plow and keep the F150 for running around.
  5. Guy JR

Guy JR Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I better start looking at a plan "B"
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Should fit on there I know a guy been running 2 MVP on a 1/2 ton chevy and one on a 1/2 ton ford Will take good welder to get it mounted
  7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you can't figure that every 1/2 ton truck is the same. and coming up with a mount is not the problem.
  8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

If you can make it work and it's going to be hooked up just to do clean up on one lot then unhooked, I'd go for it.