1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP plow functions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OneBadDodge06, Jan 27, 2008.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

So I toasted a solenoid yesterday but that is fixed.

Now instead of the wings acting together when I use the straight blade function of my mvp the side that i press on the controller...that particular wing just folds back and thats it. I know it has to be the plow cuz I hooked it up to my Cheby and it does the same thing.....its not the controller cuz I tried a different one with the same effect....so any ideas???:confused:

2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I told U to buy a BOSS (LOL):dizzy:

3. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Yeah that's ironic.....had a guy who knows his plows tell me that if I use genuine Boss solenoids they last longer. He's never steered me wrong in the past.....so looks like I'll be using Boss guts from now on.....weird that Boss' curb guards even fit my WESTERN plow better.

But I don't think I've ever lost any major bolts on mine....and my wings don't act like they are going to go through the front fender when they snap back....and mine's bigger:D

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will the wings extend and retract when you only press the wing function button for each respective wing? In other words, in non straight blade mode?

5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

the wings come back that fast because they have the fastest hyd in the busn buddie:salute: (LOL)

6. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

They might be fast but I bet I can out backdrag you any day of the week....for now.

Water got into the bottom cap on the manifold and corroded the cartridge so it was junk. So I'm going to make a gasket to fit over that so it doesn't happen again. Had a bunch of water in it for the second time....discovered this before the snow season started.

BTW had some guys stop in and ask about my curb guards while I was waiting for the plow to get fixed. The parts guy at Truck Equip bout crapped a brick when I said those were Boss parts and told them guys that Western doesn't make curb guards for it since the parts guy never called me back about them.....so I sent Hawkeye more business.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear it's fixed blade...the inner tube idea is good.

Two additional tips to help also: Drill a small hole in the cover for the S5 valve/coil. It allows any water that gets in to drain out.

2) Spray all the coils and wire connections under the covers with Fluid Film, perfect application for it.

Good thing you positively identified the plow in the pm's huh? Makes it a little easier to diagnose like I said.

And BTW, your more than welcome :) :salute:.

8. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

That's a good idea.....do you suppose goopin a bunch of dielectric grease on will work for the time being? I'm not like Grandview and have 55 gal drums by the pallet of FF at my disposal.:D I'd have to order it.

Thanks again!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure the di-electric grease would be better than nothing.. just don't let GV hear about you missing an opportunity for FF...