1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP plow cutting edge wear problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stllawnboy, Feb 21, 2015.

1. stllawnboy

stllawnboy Junior Member

I have 8'6" MVP plus having cutting edge wear problem. The 2 center pieces keep wearing much faster than outter straight pieces. Anything that can be adjusted to fix problem or is this normal? Also doesnt seen to clear that smooth compared to our straight blades. Any thoughts or input would be helpful.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I bet your plowing a lot in scoop.

3. stllawnboy

stllawnboy Junior Member

No very rarely in scoop only when stacking, mostly straight use v position to open thing up

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

ok,heavy and wet snow?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

How old is the plow?

By how much wear center to edge..1/4, 1/2, 3/4, more?

How level is the A-frame?

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

On V blades the configuration adjustments are critical. Put the truck on a smooth, level garage floor. Put the blade in scoop and drop it, then look if the blade touches the floor evenly. Now put the blade in V and look again. With a new,even blade it should touch evenly in all positions. If the A-frame is not parallel to the ground the ends of the cutting edges will wear faster than the middle. That is, both cutting edges will be rounded.
    To resolve this loosen the four carriage bolts at the rear of the A-frame and then adjust up or down until the A-frame is parallel to the ground. Use a little torpedo level. Then re tighten the carriage bolts. Some plows have a wedge that has to be moved while newer models have three holes, put the bolt in the nearest hole.
    Straight blades have only the main config options, the old ultras have 4 holes, the new ultra II have three but both versions of the V have the four fine configuration adjustment bolts at the back end of the A-frame in addition to the normal config.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  7. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

Thanks for that bit of info. I have an old MVP Unimount on a 96 F250 and plan on new cutting edges for next season. This will be my project. I have wear as described and can visually see the A frame is slightly unlevel pitching down towards the plow wings. I am curious though and thought I read somewhere on this forum that a certain clearance is "required" or "preferred" from the bottom of the A frame to the ground? Thanks for your time.

8. mishnick

That "clearance" is the dimension required to make the a-frame exactly parallel to the ground. You will note when you read that they never really say where to measure because if the a-frame is parallel to the ground the same measure will be everywhere along the length of the a-frame.
    Think about it.... The wing pivot pin is perpendicular (at a right angle) to the a-frame so if the a-frame slopes down from the truck the outside edges of the blades will be lower when in scoop. When in V the centre will be lower causing the ends of the cutting edges to wear faster. The same will happen if the a-frame slopes up away from the truck only it wears opposite but still on the ends of the two cutters.
    Very often when I inspect V-plows I find those four carriage bolts lose. I suspect thats why Western abandoned the wedges and went to the three holes. So when they come lose the config doesn't chsnge so much.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  9. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

So are these wedges installed where the undercarriage mount attaches to the truck? Are they used basically as a shim to gain levelness? Interestingly I found those four or another four bolts loose last winter after purchasing the truck with plow. I went ahead and sucked them up, but I don't recall seeing any wedges. Things must have been out of wack for the previous owner for some time as my cutting edges are definitely worn quite unevenly. Thanks for the info. I will have to get a hold of a parts schematic and compare to what I have.

10. mishnick

As I recall the wedges on the older ultras were on the inside at the back where it joins the pivot bar.