1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP plow bunches when plowing in heavy icy conditions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rumble, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Rumble

Rumble Member

MVP plow bounces when plowing in heavy icy conditions

I have a MVP plow on my truck and when I plow with the blade all in one direction and it is a heavy ice like frozen snow it will bounce the front of the truck. It seems like one side of the blade is digging onto the ice and tripping and then coming back. Once this starts it continues until I stop of lift the plow. It gets very violent and bounces the whole front of the truck. Has anyone ever had this problem before ? I have plowed with westerns plows for years. This is my first v plow and am rather disappointed. I have to plow very slow for this not to happen.

Any help would be great

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

tighten the trip springs a couple of turns.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

It also kind of sounds like one side is already tripped and you keep on going without allowing it to go back to its position. On my fisher v (which is similar to your western) you can't adjust the springs. They may need to be replaced.
  4. Rumble

Rumble Member

Like PLM-1 said you can not adjust the springs. I can not see how they need to be replaced the plow is only two years old . It has only been used about 15 times. I took it back to the dealer they said there was nothing they could do. They told me to sell it or put a flyer up in there shop offering it to anyone with straight blade to trade.
  5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Nice.. Way to go Western People... Leave a guy in a lurch when you are needed.. Sorry that you are having troubles, bu the whole Western thing is O too familiar.
  6. michdeere

michdeere Member

Is it possible that the "angle of attack" is wrong? Like the plow is mounted so it's tipped too far forward? I'd guess it's an Ultra Mount? Wouldn't seem like you could get it tipped too far without having a problem mounting it on the truck....just a guess.