1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP on a 1997 f250

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pbjunkie92, Dec 15, 2009.

1. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Hey there guys, I just bought a 1997 f250 for my landscaping...however here recently I have put some thought into getting a plow for it as well. Question is can I put the ultramount on it and get the MVP PRO?

1997 F250 4X4
    7.3L POWERSTROKE
    EXT. CAB 8FT BED.

any help would be appreciated I am new to plows. :help:

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Thank you.. I actually did the quick match..however I wanted to know for sure if I can do this

Anybody ever attempted or know someone who has attempted this setup?

4. twinman326

Your best bet would be to call a western dealer in your area, or western it to find out.

On here B&B or crash935 might be able to answer your question

5. twinman326

I made a few phone calls and talk a dealer where I live...And the answer is yes with caution.

MVP Ultra plow can be install on your truck..FORD does not recommend it because of the weight issue. If you use Timbren suspension (here is the link to your truck) that would help.

http://www.truckspring.com/timbren-kit-front-ff150974a.html

Also the harness could be an issue because of the electrical system for that year. I would call a deal in your area and find out what harness (vehicle) you would need. I believe it would be a Module type, either a 3port or a 4 port...Really not sure, but it might be a 12pin

Here is a dealer near you. Give them a call

ENDLESS SUMMER RV
    7633 Devilbiss Bridge Road
    Frederick, MD 21701
    Phone: (301) 898-9848
    Toll-Free: (800) 301-4787

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  6. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Thank you very much...I really appreciate you doing that for me...I actually feel kind of bad:( thank you again I think I have a good start now.

7. twinman326

Like I said, ford don't really recommend for your truck, The trimbren are not cheap..

Let us know what happen.........

8. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

well my local dealer had nothing to say...still looking for a bit more info.

anyone have experiance anything like this personally?

9. timberjack

timberjack Member

I've got the same truck as you, with the exception that i put a solid axle in the front end, and new spring packs up front as well, basically making it an F350.

BTW - sometimes when you mention you have a 97 F250, some databases come up with the light duty specs, which is basically a heavy half ton chassis in the different body style.

What width of MVP were you considering? I was going back and forth all fall deciding on a 9.5' MVP or the Boss 9'2". Obviously you can see what finally won out in my signature. So far, i found it works/rides fine without timbrens, but i have a set to install if i need them, once we finally get some snow to get some plowing time. Check with Jim at esitrucks, a plowsite sponsor, they had a whack of timbrens they were selling for $60 shipped to you.

FWIW - my last truck was a 95 F250 that i had a 8.5' Western Ultramount Pro straight blade. It was a little heavy at first when on the highway, and would bottom the suspension out against the factory bump stops when i hit even small bumps on the road. Once i put a set of timbrens on, rode excellently. I ran it for 5 years like that, and it's still going strong for the new owner.

10. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Im thinking 8.5 or 9.5 I havent really decided for sure.

Do you think i would be ok with just timbrens or should i look into more as far as suspension work?

11. twinman326

I would go for the 8.5. 9.5 would be too big for your truck..Timbrens would do just fine in my opinion...

12. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Yes I agree. I decided on the 8.5 after comparing weights.

Well I will give it a shot.

Thanks guys

13. timberjack

timberjack Member

pbjunkie, I'd figure timbrens would be just fine, as they were on my last rig.

You'll definitely find you need them pretty quickly if you travel far between jobs and such. They are a much better solution than just adding a leaf. And your truck won't ride like a tank in the off season with the timbrens either.

Another solution would be an airbag overload setup for the front end too, just a more expensive proposition.