1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP on a 1/2 ton Chevy?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MLG, Mar 25, 2011.

1. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Hello,

I'm looking at possibly buying a used Western 8-6" MVP Unimount plow to plow my long ...and often snowed in driveway. Getting to the point where the 'V' will really make work easier because I get a lot of drifting in a few areas. What are your thoughts on putting it on an 89 Chevy 1/2 ton short wheel base truck?

I would add air shocks to help support the weight up front. Is this asking for super trouble? I wonder how much weight it would remove from the rear wheels? I could beef up the frame in front by boxing it in or adding gussetting where necessary. I won't be doing any commercial plowing or driving around much with the plow on.

Also, are there any known weaknesses with the older MVP plows? The one I am looking at seem like it hasn't been abused or is overly rusty. Thanks for your thoughts.

MLG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't do it... get a 3/4 ton truck

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

No way, asking for trouble.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

My buddie ran one this year on a short bed half ton. Barely squatted and turned on a dime. He loved it.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You will certainly need to put some weight in the back. The shorter the vehicle the more the back ends tend to lift. We use patio stones and a simple wooden frame to keep them in place over the rear axel.

As for weaknesses... I find the mounts are the weakest point but if you get a new mount then just be sure to put washers on both sides of everything you bolt to the frame so the bolts don't rip through and check the main blade pivot pin between the right and left wings for wear.