1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP lower lift frame repair with pics.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fortydegnorth, Mar 5, 2015.

1. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

2006 MVP that I bought and installed new. It's lived a commercial life plowing about any job you can imagine including a municipal airport runway and ramps. I use this plow like a tool should be used, not necessarily abused, but I don't wax it and store it on pillows. The last snow we had the plow wasn't lifting high off the ground. Then I noticed my lights looked to be sinking below the hood. I got out and looked and the plow was raised and it was against the stops, except it was only about 5" off the ground. I knew I had bent the lower frame. Made it through the day and did a temporary repair that lasted 2 jobs until it bent again on either side of the two plates I welded onto the broken areas. $550 for a new frame and no one had one with a snow storm forecasted in less than 2 days. I spent $8 on steel, broke out the plasma cutter, welder, bought 4 bolts and had at it. One day, $10 for parts and a plow that is strong as new. I'm off a tad on the angle so the lights needed adjusting but hey, it's 10 years old and lives to fight another day. Here are some pics.

The broken frame. Both sides and both sides of the horns.

image.jpg

2. fortydegnorth

Removing the old and prepping the new

image.jpg

3. fortydegnorth

Plated on the inside over the lap joint, then plug welded. I used 3/16 steel for everything.

image.jpg

4. fortydegnorth

After welding, grinding and cleaning it all up. I plated the top joint where the ears make the bend. Seemed like a weak point with cracks.

image.jpg

5. fortydegnorth

Primer sprayed and ready to roll. May even get some paint someday. Hope this helps if someone gets in a bind and has some tools. Plowed some the day after the repair and worked great. Just need a little adjusting to make mounting it to the truck easier. Little grinding should do the trick.

image.jpg

6. erebus

erebus Junior Member
    from ny

Very nice. Wish I had a shop to work in.