1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mvp Lift Frame Failure

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by CENLO, Mar 6, 2008.

1. CENLO

CENLO Member

Has anyone else had a problem with the square tube cracking on the bottom of the upper lift frame? I have had alot of problems with the upper lift frame failing where it connects to the lower frame. My Western dealer said they have it happen alot...................shouldn't there be a re-call? Seems like very thin metal! Also the pivot bolt sleeve seems to break its weld....still seems to hold ok though!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There should have been, but nothing was done as far as I'm aware of up to this point.

The square tubing is undersized for the application IMO. We'll see how they hold up on the Widouts since they're the heaviest. Anyone broke one on a Wideout yet?

You not alone...and your dealer is correct. :nod:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Mind putting up a pic of what your talking about? I'd like to keep an eye on my plow for yet, another issue.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keep an eye right at the bottom of the lift tower where it's attached with the through bolts to the lower frame. They usually either crack from the bottom up to the attaching bolt hole on the front of the tower, or start to bend the tower forward and tear the tubing around the through bolt/washers on the rear side. Area circled in red in the pic.

fbaf_1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

DD issue a waranty recall:eek: never happen!

One example is the early MVPs. the pumps were bolted on the lift piston, start plowing an the pump would slide down the shaft. When you'd stack they'd rip the hoses off the bottom of the valve block, they changed it but did nothing for the guys having the problems, or to reimburse the dealers for the field repairs.

6. scottL

I recently complained in another thread about the ultra-mount coming off the truck in certain conditions ice can get jamed where the pin locks in the swinging hook legs and allows it to release. I've heard from many they have experienced it too.

The simple fix was to use a hitch pin on either side of the legs where they have 'security' holes cut in. Simple and keeps it safe. This should have ( or maybe after I submit my next set of pict's to them ) receive a safety notice and a free set of hitch pins. Something like this could kill. It only takes one ticked off owner with a lawyer to start a class action.

7. scottL

Thanks for the Pict! My check list of things to keep an eye on is getting long :cry: