1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP inop scoop

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mike psd, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

well i decide to dig out the plow just in case i wake up tomorrow with some snow . however the first problem i found was bad connects fixed that went to re-test and everything works but scoop . check fluid level a bit low top it off and still nothing however only right wing scoops but left wants too vee . i was wondering if this mean my controlling was going ? air pocket ? i need some more time to play with it but just wanted too see if any of you guys have had these issues ?

2. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

s4

It sounds like you S4 valve is not working. It is located on the draing plug side of the pump where there are two valves; also located by the top vertical manifold. It has a black/white wire on the coil. Make sure you have magnatism on the coil if you do not remove the valve and make sure its clean and the the valve moves. :help:

3. mike psd

from pa

thanks dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm gunna play with maybe this week some time or prob thanksgiving well cause i can lol . but i was reading the tech articles on western kinda found myself on thats s3 and s4 . any idea how much they run for a new one ?

4. nobletousha13

from VA

5. nobletousha13

from VA

sorry

it's #27 :help:

6. mike psd

from pa

well today after work i was playing with my blade and test the solnoids and making sure those check balls where running and now i have nothing beside the right hand wing working only idk . i try switch good solnoid with known good ones still nothing any every has this problems on older mvps . i'm gunna rear up on mechanics guide tonight and see if got a new battle plan :dizzy:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the connections are all good and clean, then it sounds like a dying controller.

8. mike psd

from pa

yeah i went around with contract cleaner and a wire bush last weekend and made sure everything is on good . grounds and postives are clean . tomorrow i'll have a helper to help check the coils . anyone have any idea how much spring tension is suppose too be on the cartridge's is it finger pressure only to depress it how much should they move ?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you feel carefully while you push in on the valve you will feel it move with just hand pressure. They don't move much though...only about 1/32-1/16 in.

You definitely have something more going on here than a stuck S4 though. Sound's electrical to me.

10. mike psd

from pa

thanks B&B . ya that the way i kinda felt but i wanna cover all my bases those contoller are like 300 smacker and i wish i had known good one for testing . to give you some more info once i first hooked up last sunday everything worked and i had some back feeding going on nothing worked no lights nothing once the truck was off it was still running so i unplug the plow harness at the grill and it turned off . then i was looking for some wiring issues or electronics nothing really found cleaned up the ground and that and everything seem to be working . i made 2 repairs too my battery ground at the motor and the truck . after that i've been chasing i made 2 repairs on the battery harness today hairline cracks . when i use the hand held now it only right wing works left is DOA but on left angle the wing does move but i heard motor running . i guess i'm gunna need to see if have power at the grill tomorrow

11. mike psd

from pa

update

today i got her working harness had a problem and for the vee / scoop funcations i had my dad sit if the cab and then i was gunna check for magnetism as soon as i touch the coil on s-4 everything start working and no problem as of now .

12. lakey22

lakey22 Junior Member

Hi,First timer here! I purchased brand new western mvp last year.I used it once everything fine,next time I used it the thing was acting wiered,like, when I pressed (vee button) the plow would lower and pressing another button it did something different! Well seeing it was still under warranty took it back to dealer and he plugged a new controller in and it worked great! Still working today.