1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mvp+ fluid leak

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hundreddollarbi, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Hundreddollarbi

Hundreddollarbi Junior Member
    from Iowa

Have read the posts for a couple of years but have just joined. I have a 2 yr old mvp+ leaking from around the power unit area, Can turning the quill in cause a leak in anyway? I have had no problems and dont know if it is a coincidence or not, I turned the quill in about 2 1/2 turns and it slowed the drop a little but when I was done plowing for t he day I had a leak and fluid all over. Is something else leaking or could this be caused by the quill?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Turning the "quill" in 2 1/2 times to me is a lot..When I adjust my blade speed, I first made sure the blade was in the down position full.. Then I would turn it a 1/4 then check. I turn it in about a 1/2 of turn..For 2 1/2 turns in, your blade must be really coming down slow and up slow?

So that is possible that can cause the leak..

Did you check your breather on the reservoir to see if fluid was coming out of there?

When you check the fluid, make sure the plow is in the "V" position and fully in the down position

3. twinman326

Just to let you know, your running "two threads" with the same problem

4. Hundreddollarbi

Hundreddollarbi Junior Member
    from Iowa

Just looking for opinions, I think this blade is a lemon. It still drops fast as hell.. On my old blades a 1/4 turn was noticeable. I had already turned it in about 2 turns 1/4 turn at a time last year. It is still dropping way too fast. I turned it in 1/4 turn at a time and checked each time for the 2 1/2 turns and it was barely noticeable if at all but I stopped there. When looking for the leak today I ran it all the way in to check how far it was still out and it was 2 1/2 turns from bottom.

5. howardg3

howardg3 Junior Member
    from name

Hey I have an mvp plus & have had same problem with leaking, just behind the quill, if you looking at the front of the plow. behine the quill there is a port call a test port there is a little -o- ring in there, some times they blow out, not sure why but they do.It looks like a flat head screw it is where they hook up the psi gauge to test if there is a problem, You will see fluid leaking from there is so go to a part store & get a new -o- ring & then when you put it on make sure you use thread sealant not thread locker & also they had problem with pump shaft seals being install wrong at factory they get pushed in at an angle and it takes time for it to wear & then start leaking

6. twinman326