1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

**mvp electrical problem**

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BLK BZT, Dec 2, 2010.

1. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

I have a 2001 8"6' UniMount MVP that I installed on my 1997 GMC Sierra 2500HD. The truck side and plow side wiring are all brand new. Everything works great, but when I push the controller for any command my plow lights go off and my truck lights come on. Before I start tearing everything apart, I was hoping someone could share some western wisdom with me.

Also, recently noticed my brake lights and rear turn signals don't work. It does this with the plow attached or not.Thank you in advance for any pointers

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad connection somewhere. ground is likely. check fuses for tail lights and turns.

3. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

Plow problem:
    Didn't have time to tear into the electrical problem today, but I did just hook up a straight blade to my truck and the plow lights stayed on when using the controller. I have the harness adapter that runs both V-Blade and straight blade. I'll take apart the plow side wiring harness and see what I find. Probably a ground...

Truck problem:
    I've already checked the fuses and they are all good. I read a post about running wires from the battery to the bulb sockets, and plan on trying it tomorrow. Probably a ground...

4. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

PLOW SIDE PROBLEM:
    Warmed up the garage and started searching. I found the orange/black ground wire for the lights connected to a red wire going to the positive terminal on the motor (NOT GOOD). Disconnected the splice and grounded the orange/black wire to the negative terminal, vioooola and it' working.

TRUCK LIGHT PROBLEM:
    The rear passenger brake/turn bulb was blown. The drivers rear circuit board is bad. Replaced the bulb and the board and I'm now up and running.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

:salute:........

6. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

Grounds win again! :)