1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP cutting edge/back drag

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dinosaur, Jan 30, 2016.

1. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

I just got done installing the back drag edge on my MVP plus 8'6" and noticed that the plow cutting edge is sitting about 1/2" off the ground. The back drag edge is firmly on the ground and the shoes are "slightly loose" to the ground.
    I usually have the cutting edge about 1/4" off the ground with the shoes. The plow is "only" 2 years old and I do both paved lots and a gravel road (thus the shoes).
    So my question is, is the cutting edge that worn, or is this normal?

IMG_1508 (2).jpg

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If you google "western back drag edge", a bunch of images come up. The all seem to show to back drag edge higher than the plow edge. I used to have one on a previous mvp, but I don't remember how it looked. May be that your plow edges are just too worn down as you say.

3. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

Removed and measured the cutting edge and it comes to 5-5/8" at its widest part. What's a new edge measure? Also pictures on internet show the back drag installed between the cutting edge and the blade. But the back edges I have, have the slots cut in so it looks like it would be installed on the backside of the blade. Is this the correct spot?
    Thanks

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The backdrag edge has the slots so you can adjust it to match the main cutting edge but it the main edge is heavily worn you have to trim the backdrag with a zip cutter, torch or somethig like that.

When I install backdrag edges I put the two pieces on the frog (frog is the plate the cutting eges bolt to) with the bolts loose. Then I drop the blade, using a floor jack, under control just intil the edges touch the floor. (A smooth concrete floor is best) Then I tighten up the two end bolts. This way both edges will be even with the ground because the slots in the backdrag will allow it to move to match the main edge. Then lift the plow and tighten the rest of the bolts.

The two cutting edges will wear in and become square to the ground after a few plows runs but the closer you get the to start the longer the pair will last.

All MVP main cutting edges are 6" when they are new regardless of the thickness option you have.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the wear bars start out 6", and you should do the backdrags when you do the wear bars. and the back drags should sandwich between the wear bar and the base angle. if you have them behind the base angle, that might make them stick down a little more.

6. mishnick

The backdrag edge can't go behind. There are gussets there that block it from sitting flat. It only fits between the main cutting edge and the angle (frog)

7. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

I'll be replacing the wear bars as soon as I can get them. But my question is, my back drag bars have slots cut in to not interfere with the gussets on the back of the frog. And looking at the Western parts breakdown it looks like it goes behind the frog, not between the frog and wear bar (but internet pics show it between). When I replace the wear bars, I'll try relocating the back drag bars to in between and see what it looks like.

8. mishnick

It seems that on the MVP+ the backdrag edge does go behind the base angle (frog) Here is a link to the instructions. http://library.westernplows.com/pdfs/29406.04_060107.pdf
    As you say, there are slots on this model to fit around the gussets. Still the procedure is the same.