1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Can the old rubber center be replaced with the Plus steel?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hoot, Jan 30, 2011.

1. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Is it possible to replace the rubber center edge with the newer steel design of the MVP Plus?

2. michdeere

michdeere Member

I don't believe the bolt holes will line up. I sure wish they would though. I love my Western MVP's, but I gotta say, Boss has them beat on this one.

3. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Not sure what's so great about the Boss. Looks cheaper and I'm not sure how the full mold board will trip when in scoop mode. I bought my MVP 8.6 way back in 2003. I'm just now putting the first set of edges on. I don't plow commercial but I plow every year and these last two years I've been doing a lot of it. It is starting to get a little bent up. The trip edge assemblies are tweeked close to center. I had to heat them up and bend them back out. Also the top hinge is bent a little probably from a hard hit. It doesn't seem to effect anything. Been a great plow. No hydraulic or electrical issues to speak of.

Mike

4. michdeere

michdeere Member

It's the cutting edges and no center flap. Yes, the MVP Plus took care of that, but the Plus edges don't work with the old MVP. The Boss never used the rubber center flap. A good move if you ask me.

5. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

There has to be a way to make them work. Pop some new holes in them with a torch and or bend them so they center properly. All you need to do it find a way to have each end of the cutting edge be directly underneath the plow pivot.

6. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

now the center cutting edges for a Plus are separate pieces meaning the Plus has 4 sections of cutting edges correct?

2 outer long sections and then just two short curved center sections ? so if one of us with a MVP can just find two center sections for a Plus so if it dont work out ..

im thinking of trying this, my limited time with the MVP so far i already know i dont like the rubber center flapper thingy

7. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Let me know what you find out with this. I would love to put the new edges on my MVP.

8. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

i will. having a hard time finding JUST the two curved center pieces for the trial. id hate to have to buy $400 of cutting edges for a plow I dont even own.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No you're right, Boss didn't......they used that gay ass hocky puck! Those are terrible!

As for the center flap, I'm not saying it's a brilliant idea......but I've never had a problem with them. I'll replace the assy every few sets of edges, and will change just the rubber pretty much every set if I let them wear down a lot in the center. It's a PIA to replace them I guess, but it does the job.

My main Unimount MVP has probably had 6-7 sets of edges since 03, if not more...and again, no complaints here.

The snowdogg V is the best edge design IMO. Similar to the Boss but tighter, and still maintains a trip edge. Those things clean like no ones business in all angles as well. A cheaper quality plow, but nevertheless........

10. michdeere

michdeere Member

I guess my problem with the stupid center flap is the brackets that hold it. There's a TON of wear left in the cutting edges themselves, but the brackets that hold the rubber flap have worn down to the bolt holes, so the rubber falls out. You can't replace just the center parts. You have to replace it ALL. I don't understand why Western can't build a set of edges designed like the Plus edges that will fit the older MVP's?

11. firefighter1406

I agree with you one hundred percent.

12. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

when I bought my MVP in 99 it did have a steel center piece. Never had an issue. The rubber pieces are a pain. I did make a second hole for after I wore down the rubber

13. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

you mean center steel piece like the bracket the holds the rubber flapper or an actual center steel cutter

14. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

It was 2 pieces of steel. They were just angled at about a 45 degrees. worked great. I'll see if I can round up my original paperwork, I'm sure it be in the diagrams.

15. firefighter1406

Gib, very interested in hearing about those edges.

16. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

REALLY interested in what you can dig up Gib.

17. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

give me a couple more days, I just moved my shop, and things are in hiding in boxes.

If I remember right, it was two pieces of steel, angled ant about 40 degrees and attached to inside edge of the cutting edge. The total length had to be around 12 inches. 6 inches on the cutting edge and 6 inches that angled back towards the center of the plow.

18. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

yea no problem Gib. wont be needing it till next season anyway.

from your memory, the idea sounds like its there, after going out and looking at my plow I can agree that would work.

the million dollar question, did you use standard 1/4" low carbon steel or actual cutting edge graded steel?

thanks!!

19. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

There were a very few MVP plus plows that had a two piece cutting edge on them...the 45 was made on to the main cutting edge. I had a customer bring one in this winter looking for a replacement. Unfortunately it was a test or something by western and they ended up going with the way too expensive 4 piece design. Needless to say my customer was none to happy when I had to sell him the 4 piece replacement

20. firefighter1406

Any update on this. My MVP needs new edges this year and would love to get rid of the rubber flap.