1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP 8'6 sudden problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wnyps, Jan 10, 2010.

1. wnyps

wnyps Member

I have a mvp 8'6 on my '08 superduty which has all of sudden giving me problems.The plow is around 2 yrs old and yesterday it stopped lifting and angling.The controller light is on and bumper plugs are clean and snug.When i press the buttons on the controller i hear the solenoid's clicking but no motor noise or plow movement.Heres the funny part, if i press the blade into a snow bank most times it will work again just fine for a while and then it happens again.Every things seems clean (no corrosion) and tight in the plows electrical area. I changed the fluid but still have the problem except the plow moves quicker now then before.If there was an electrical problem would i hear the solenoid's clicking? Im pretty much stumped here so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

mine did that i think there was air in the lines we just kept moving it back and fourth and pushing it into snow banks and it finally seemed to work the air out and worked. mine was also low on fluid so i added some

3. wnyps

wnyps Member

Wouldnt i atleast hear the motor running and just not the solenoids clicking or would there still be moisture (or air) in the lines?

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I had that happen to me. There ended up being a broken wire in the control harness. Time to bust out the contunity tester.

Could also be a controller. Do you have the flat connector or the round one on your control?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the motor relay is clicking, the controller and plowside Iso module must be working. Get the voltmeter out and see if you have 12 volts to the motor when you hit the controller. If you do, motor is likely shot. If you don't, work towards the battery till you do.

Continuity tester is useless on this control system. If the relay is clicking, you have continuity.

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Just jump the solenoid across the two battery terminals to see if you have a bad motor..If the motor runs then there could be an electrical problem

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't jump ANYTHING across the battery terminals!!!

I think what he means use a screwdriver to jump the big terminals on the motor relay. Even if that fires the motor, you are going to need a volt meter to find the electrical fault.

8. wnyps

wnyps Member

Well i went outside to mess around with it, it worked for a little bit and then it stopped except the clicking from the solenoids. I took a rubber malet and tapped the bottom of the motor and it worked again for a bit and quit again. Does it sound like something is loose in the motor or is the motor going OUT and need to replace it ?

9. twinman326

Never said anything about jumping across the battery.....try jumping across the battery terminals on the solenoid.......Read the post #6 again.........

10. twinman326

If you tap the motor and the motor started to run, then stop again, it can be two things.

A) A ground problem.Check the leads (battery leads) to the motor and the ground for good connection (clean them up)

B) unhook the positive wire from the motor..Use a jumper cable, connect them to the battery. Connect the ground to ground the pump and the positive terminal on the motor to check the motor directly. If it fails, then read "C". If it works, you might have a controller problem.

C) the motor is on it way out..........

I have to take mine apart today because it was dragging..When I took the cover off, there was so must rust and garbage.. Clean the armature with a little with sand paper, brushes as well...clean the inside......Put it back together, and it runs better then before..(watch someone will tell you not to do it)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. wnyps

wnyps Member

Well i went from battery of truck to positive terminal of plow motor(grounded the negative cable) and nothing but thats after i cleaned the terminals off. I put every together and "click,click,click" then i tapped the motor and it worked. Im assuming the motor is going out,this sucks cuz the plow is like brand new(i bought new) and i only get two years out of the motor.Where can i get a replacement motor at a decent price and what part number am i looking for? Thanks for the help

12. wnyps

wnyps Member

Are these motors easy enough to take apart and clean if need be?

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would be calling your dealer tomorrow. These plows have a two season warranty. I am guessing you are starting your third season. Your dealer and Western/Douglass Dynamics should give a little on this.

Have you actually looked at the motor? I heard these have had problems with the bolts coming out causing the motor to fail. I probably wouldn't dig into it too much before talking to your dealer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  14. wnyps

wnyps Member

The plow was actually installed late jan. of 08 so it still might be covered if its a 24 month warranty, but the my truck cant be held up for more than 2 days cuz the dealer always says drop it off and two weeks later you get it back. If western knows theres a problem with the motor bolts then there should no problem warranting them ? YA RIGHT !

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They don't need the whole truck to work on it. Unless it turns out to be a truckside problem, which I doubt.

16. wnyps

wnyps Member

Plow + truck = money maker if you know what i mean, i just dont want the plow sitting there for a week or two when i could replace the motor myself and take the lose of me buying the part myself. Unless they let me borrow one of their plows HAHA:laughing:

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just explain what you've got going on. You might get them to take ten minutes to confirm the motor is gone, and give it to you to install.

18. twinman326

Then buy the motor, and see if western will warranty the motor and refund your money.....

19. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I had a broken wire in the controll harness plug. The actual plug To test this, wouldnt you put one lead of the contunity tester in the plug and the other one touching the wire to see if everything was intact?

20. twinman326

Dstosh

There is a test procedure for test the controller