1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mvp 8.5 plus left & right side wings seem very loose

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by howardg3, Feb 3, 2011.

1. howardg3

howardg3 Junior Member
    from name

I have an 8.5 western mvp plus 3 sesons old an it seems very loose in the center were both wings (left & right side of plow blade) come togeather in the middle & there is a big pin that goes in the middle each side of the wing will move up & down at least an half inch (north & south) is there some type of busing that goes in there? it so loose that center snow deflector it wearing the rubber snow deflector and also at the back of the lift frame on the plow were the plow pivot plate an pivot pin go the is a lot of slop there my dealer told me a needed a new pivot bar, witch i did just replace & it is no different still very loose there & if you take plow off & set it on the stand shoes and then push or rock the light bar assy. the pivot plate & pivot pins flex the start popping out ward. need help?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I am assuming this is an ultramount MVP right? There is no bushing at that pivot point, just a big pin that looks like a nail. I have never seen an MVP wear out that pin or the metal it goes through. I wonder if you have to right pin? Is it possible that they put the wrong pin in there when it was built? The surface area of that pin and matting parts is so large that it is unlikely it is worn out.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're joking right? The MVP Plus' and XV's have been wearing pins and tubes out prematurely since day one. Plenty of threads on here about it as well if you dig around a little.

The original MVP's an EZ-V's were those that actually had a decent hinge design.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Many guys are experiencing the wear you see. Now that these plows are aging a bit and warranties are expiring, I suspect we will hear about more and more incidents. Having a new T-frame, wings, and pin installed under warranty is a nuisance. When you start shelling out over grand for the parts, it's really going to hurt.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This is news to me, I have been servicing Western plows for more than five years and have never seen one issue. Perhaps because when we build them we us graphite grease or lots of anti sieze compound. Never the less I will take this into consideration and start checking for this kind of wear. Certainly there is some sort of repair option. I can imagine taking the blade sections off then reaming the tubes out a bit larger (to ensure they are round) and then installing bushings and a new pin. That wouldn't cost a thousand.

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

This has been an ongoing problem..

Someone joking..I wonder who??:rolleyes: