1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP 3 intermittent problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sns250, Jan 24, 2015.

1. sns250

sns250 Member

I have a mvp3 that while out plowing last night would just stop moving. There does not seem to be any rime or reason to when it acts up.

I have never had a problem with it going down, but every once in a while I will try to raise the blade or turn it left and right and nothing will happen. I can hear the plow clicking but the motor does not engage. If I just press the controller a couple times it will then start moving again. There does not seem to be any specific thing that causes the problem.
  2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Oddly enough, we've had two brand new plows this season with bad motors. First an MVP3, with no more than ten hours of use. Then, just this week, a Wideout with less than five hours of use. Both started out having intermittent failures as well. Could be the motor relay also... you'll have to diagnose it with a test light while it's acting up.
  3. sns250

sns250 Member

Would the motor be an intermittent problem? One other thing I notice is if you have the plow in the air and are using the wing button while it is acting up it will not go out, but if you press it again the bring the wing in it still won't engage the motor but the wing will slowly bleed back.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it would be/can be an intermittent problem.
    Wing coming back us b/c no pressure to push it out so it's back feeding fluid
  5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Just to clarify... The MVP3 that we had the issue with was very intermittent. It started the first time the guy went out and plowed with it. It would just quit, and if you poked the controller button enough, it would eventually start working again. Eventually, it would quit again. It never displayed any other symptoms of a bad motor. After testing for a few other likely causes, we finally threw a motor on it, and it's never acted up since. I'm to the thinking that the armature in the motor had a crappy spot on it, and when the motor came to rest at just the right spot, it didn't want to start right back up again. The wideout that had the issue was very slow right from day one. After an hour's worth of use it would just continue to slow up until it just stopped. After it sat for two minutes, it would run again. We replaced the motor and it's perfect.
  6. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

Well I have the same issue. I'm on the 3rd controler . We have been thinking this was the problem .
  7. sns250

sns250 Member

Completely forgot to report back. Turned out to be a bad solenoid on the plow. Took it to the dealer last Saturday, it took me about 20 mjnutes if messing with it in their garage to get it to act up. Finally did they threw a test light on a couple things, replaces the solenoid and I was out of there. All under warrantee. The mechanic thought I was crazy about 15 minutes in but sure enough it finally happened. We have plowed 3 times this week and it's been fine sense.