1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mustang 960 need opinions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by pipelayer, Nov 18, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

looking at getting a skidsteer for various reasons, i used to work at a bobcat dealer as a mechanic, so i have a pretty decent grasp of these machines on a general basis. this machine is a mustang 960, with 1100 hours, its a 1995. it has heat and an enclosed cab, its a wheel machine with an isuzu diesel. i have more experience with diesel engines than anything else, so any engine work doesnt scare me as much as hydrostat work, or wheel bearing work, or things that can get costly, as i dont have many of the heavy duty tools i had at that shop. i plan on putting a pusher on it, or at least a snow bucket of sorts, are these quick attach like the bob-tach sysem? does anyone have any experience with them? theyre on the cheaper side of the spectrum vs cat and bobcat. i know the whole you get what you pay for deal rings true, but if not this then ill go the cat route before i spend an extra 6k on a bobcat. thanks.
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I have one, does it have the single lever quick attach? If so it uses its own attachments. Not the standard ones.
    Great machine, only issue is head gaskets sometimes and the wheel bearings go which lets the chains slap around and break.

Look at gehl for a cheaper machine than the cats
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What size pusher you thinking. Like a 6' they are dogs. No power. Engines are good. The hydros are ok. The T bar control (if that is what it's got) is terrible to adjust and get centered. IMO get something newer and more modern...But I'm basing this on the ones I've worked on the were beyond beat.