1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

must see snow melter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jce4isu, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

2. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

Buddy of mine works for the co that has 1 they are junk
  3. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

then it melts and the lot is one big skating rink unless you pit it by a drain or a run off. not a bad idea though
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I was in the cities a few weeks ago and saw a company using something similar to that. If it's parked over a drain for the run off I would think it would be a good idea, especially in the larger areas where there is no decent place to stack large amounts of snow.
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Doesnt DellDoug have one? or has a close friend with one, i thought i remember that from last season.
  6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Exactly, what happens when all the run off freezes. Can you say Liability? Alot of places don't have sewer drains like that, and even then there not exactly conveniently located or are hard to find during the winter months.

What is he talking about "only have to fire one motor"'? He has two plow trucks in the background and a loader dumping snow into the hopper. Now you have to come back through and salt/sand for the run off as well...Does't make much sense.

$250,000.00......yeah I don't think so. That's alot of green. All the complications and scenarios are way to high in my book to support a price like that.

To each his own I guess.
  7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

250,000 doesn't make much sense in most our companies, but for the guys doing a few million a year in snow or whatever, in 5 months, I have a feeling a 250,000 dollar price tag is not such a ridiculous thought.

I always think the same thing about mulch blowers. I would love to own one but at $75,000 to $80,000 for a small 3-4 yard machine I cannot imagine it being a good investment. But right now I'm only grossing about 30K-35K in mulching during the spring. Talk to me when I'm tripling that, then I might own one.
  8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Makes perfect sense if you think about it.

One motor on the melter instead of several dump trucks. You need the plow trucks and loader either way.

The runoff would be greatly reduced this way as well and only need to be treated once instead of possibly daily for who knows how long.
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Anybody ever thought of buying a couple of these and renting them out to cities that have a unusually high snowfall? Like western iowa who doesn't normally see such high snow totals with no thaw. i could see this as being profitable traveling to these cities after the storm and subcontracting snowmelting operations for them. Most cities couldn't justify the cost of one of these units to the tax payers but hiring some comapny to do it as needed maybe?
  11. sparky2410

sparky2410 Member

Go buy 3-4 new tri-axle dumps to haul snow with..... @ $125,000 a piece. That seems perfectly reasonable to spend 250,000 and its instantly gone.
  12. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

They're a cool concept but not worth it imo.
  13. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm not sure where your getting your numbers, but there more like $75k for a decked out a tri dump. The other thing is, I can also run a dump truck year round, day in and day out to produce revenue.
  14. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

75k for a decked tri-axle ????

i'd like to see that truck
  15. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

the runoff comes out of those machines at over 70 degrees. this has been discussed in detail before. youd think they put these things in the middle of a lot and turn it to an ice rink? c'mon guys.
  16. adamhumberview

adamhumberview Senior Member

my neighbour has the exact same model. paid $250 k for it.. he dont like it to much.. says it doesnt live upto what they said it would...
  17. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

where are you getting a decked out tri for under 100K new?
  18. RepoMan207

from Maine

So what if it comes out at 70 degrees...it's going to cool down and eventually freeze. Depending on the ambient air it may be as long as 24 hours, but it will freeze. At 70 it won't evaporate.

Sorry, apparently that was a 08 left over special we looked at, their anywhere from $90K - $120K for a Steerling or an International. Their are even KW's for under $110K.

GMC O'Connor, Rowe Ford, Portland North, C.W. Kenworth.......there all about the same.
  19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I hear salt works great for stuff like that.
  20. RepoMan207

from Maine

Your absolutely right, but as I said in my previous post; it is one more step to come back and do, as well as monitor. You can't actually drop the salt right away without compromising the effects of it....to my understanding of it anyway.