1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

must be the shoes

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by doug96, Mar 2, 2005.

1. doug96

doug96 Member

if the snows packed down really good, and my 50 year old 300 lb meyer is not biting in, can i take the shoes right off? i am down to the last washer on disc style shoe, and shes tripping over ererything but won't bite in the packed stuff
    i an a bit scared to try with no shoes at all . this seems to happen on concrete , usually in bad shape?

2. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Take those big paper weights off, most guys I know, and most of the guys on this site get rid of those things as soon as we buy the plow. Might help you clean a lot better. unless is all packed down then nothing but a warm day and shovel will get it clean. As for the tripping try adjusting your trip spring a little tighter.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

take them off, I dont use them, none of my guys do.. I dont like theim, and If I try to use them the damn thing falls off. lol

4. Ian

Ian Member

No Shoes. They are in the garage some place. I don't hardly trip much. Three springs set tight.

On packed snow it probably won't help much. Some spots I go over several times trying to get more of the snow off.

5. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

How good of shape is the shaveplate in?

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can take the shoes off. and hopefully you won't get that hard packed snow problem.
    If your blade is tripping to easily you can tighten the trip springs up a little.
    I only use my shoes in the fall and late spring and on gravel only.
    just asking but how much moldboard (cutting edge) is left, you don't want to wear down to the plow it's self. I go through one (2) on my boss & hinicker each year, but the lost are clear and no snow (hard pack) problem

7. doug96

doug96 Member

shave plate

pride what pride,,,

i sadly have no idea how to tell the condition of the shaveplate, the blade right,

never been near a plow , :sleeping: got a deal on a 94 chevy with what i think is a meyer e47 conventional mt.

being a total moron , im out plowing , totally clueless , my familys drives.
    this plow has 6" of play left/right and sway in and out, 3 trip springs, no grease fittings on piviot pins ,been hoseing them with different sprays .
    I need to find good web sites, Angelos os good, but their meyer diagram doesent list or say anything about the assembly that springs are attatched to,
    this seems to have been a problem area on this

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Measure the height of the shave plate/cutting edge. Also with the blade on the ground look to see if the shaveplate itself is the only thing rubbing the ground- if te blade itself or anything else (besides the shoes) are rubbing it's time to replace the edge. You might need to replace the trip springs if it trips easy- some have adjustments some don't. They do get weak with age.

Silicone spray is a good lube, and usually cheap. my fisher dealer recomends it