1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Must be Flatbed Season

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by weekendwrench, Aug 27, 2012.

1. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

I bought this hunk of ***** last summer because it was cheap and had a nice 8’ ultra mount on it. Well I did about 90% of the mechanicals on it last fall and over the winter and haven’t done much since. I rebuild the front end with all new ball joints and u joints, new alternator, battery, starter, transfer case shift linkage thingy, and the typical tune up stuff. I know the truck is not worth a dam because it is pretty whooped and rotted and if I wanted something to fix up nice I would have started with something way better, but I own this POS so oh well.

untitled7.jpg

untitled9.jpg

2. weekendwrench

So, there it sat until that fateful day I stumble across this on Craig’s list. Now I have a project. The plan is lots of sandblasting, lots of this POR15 stuff, new fenders, maybe doors, 86 the back tank and a new plastic front tank, and way too much more then I can list. I am thinking painting the frame and flatbed silver and the cab blue. That blue that Ford put on the Super Duties a few years back it was nice and bright not dark. This is more of a for fun project not a for work project if you know what I mean. It has taken me a year to get this far lest see if I finish it before hunting season.

untitled6.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled.jpg

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Lol welcome to the rotted world of fords. Don't top coat with por15. It has no uv protection. It turns purple in the sun. Just sandblast and epoxy prime and then single stage urethane. I used omni brand which is ppg lower brand. I did use ppg Dp epoxy primer though. See link for build up.

4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

diamond in the rough thats a cool truck looking forward to seeing it come back to life. id much rather have that rusty old truck than the super light duty next to it

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Wierd. My links are gone in my sig. with driod.

6. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

if you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it? did it come with a plow or just the mount. I love that body style have a few myself

7. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

thought I've seen that truck around the area....

8. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

You think thats a hunk check out my thread! I like those style Fords, cant wait to see the finished product.

9. weekendwrench

Well Tuesday was productive. Looks like I need a radiator core support as well. All in a day’s work.:mechanic:

untitled11.jpg

untitled13.jpg

untitled14.jpg

10. weekendwrench

This aint my first rodeo with rotted fords. Isn’t rust a standard factory option on fords? Thanks for the info on the paint. I am not a painter by no means, but I have lots of friends that love to paint and a few that do it for a living. A case of beer and a bottle of liquor later trucks painted.:drinkup:

I like my new truck warranty. That’s the one thing I don’t have to fix myself.

$2000 plow is the background of one of the pics. Yah I have had 3 of these body styles now. They were all beat to hell too. Don’t think I have ever driven one that wasn’t.

11. 1996f250460plow

1996f250460plow Junior Member
    from us

351 or 460?

12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice start to a great project !

13. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Looking good so far! I love my OBS Fords!

14. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Subscribed...

Looking forward to completion!

15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

cant wait to see it finished

16. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Any updates on this?

17. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Yeah I'm interested to see the turnout.

18. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

just saw this thread now. looks like a similiar project i took on. here's the thread detailing what i did to the truck - much of the same stuff you are doing.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=91106

i do have a dumping flatbed i plan to put on the truck at some point as well.

lets see an update on this truck.

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I hope you are making it a "dumper" you will be glad you did.
    T.J.

20. weekendwrench

I did manage to start sandblasting the frame last summer, but hunting season started early last year in New York State. Literally, October first as opposed to late October. Lots of green in the woods on opening day.

IMG_20120917_162929.jpg

IMG_20120917_162938.jpg

IMG_20120917_162946.jpg

IMG_20121001_071406.jpg