1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipalities requiring workmans comp.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Oct 12, 2009.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I spoke to a few guys today that plow for the town i live in. They now require certs. of workmans comp. This should help weed out the deadbeats?

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Since when did clients not require Workman's comp when one is other than a sole proprietor?

Maybe your state laws are quite different?

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Is that required for owner operators as well ? Most states do NOT require it for owners. I do not carry it for myself, 12,000.00 a year for two employees is plenty IMO.

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, owner/operators, 1 man operations must have it to plow for the town.

5. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

we got that requirement here to.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Bummer.........

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

There is a letter you can sign if you are an Owner operator that relives you of the workmans comp requirement. Not sure what it is called though. I don't think you can have comp on you in that case anyways. If you could, owners would be "getting hurt" all the time and claiming it.

8. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

You have to go to the department of labor website and fill it out. I had to do it to get a building permit to put the roof on my garage.

9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

WOW, that sucks! I don't carry it on myself either, as disability insurance seems like a far better option. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do, roofing, trenchwork, etc....? I have 4 employees, & I guess I'm fortunate to be in a trade that has quite a bit lower rates.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Over paid carpenters, the rate is 15% here, but that is also with an a+ rating. Its usually 19.5%. In Wi its 13% for everyone, better rating = lower rates there too. Its all based on payroll.

11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

In concrete/masonry here, only 8.9%, I guess it's not as bad as I thought. This may be the first year we actually go under the projected payroll #'s & get a credit back from WC.

12. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

my rate for workers comp is also up there north of 7500 per year. You can cut the cost in most states by calling your insurance broker and saying you want to exclude yourself(The owner) from the policy or you want to exclude the corporate office(the owner) from the policy. Saved me around $3000.00 per year! good luck

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:confused:

:laughing: