1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipalities and Cowboy drivers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowjay, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Maybe its just me and my town but it seems as if all i see are young guys working for my city plowing snow and they think its like driving a corvette or something. Ive seen one guy shoot three mailboxes up in the air on my street alone and also seen one flip on his side on the main drag. What is going on here. These guys are giving the snow plowing field a bad reputation in the eyes of the public. Ive always been taught to drive steady but not speed when plowing and to plow with the storm not to race and chase the flakes as they fall like in the dunkin donuts commercial. ;)
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Before you start on the drivers, what do you plow with?

Try plowing with a truck with a 10' front blade, 10' wing, that you can hardly see in your mirrors, and shifting a manual trans. Well I hate to break it to you but it's not easy.

As far as rolling trucks, when that body is up in the air and they are sanding or salting. It isn't hard to do at all.

Plowing roads is a totaly differenty hand of cards then lots and drives.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2002
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was wondering when that was going to get a reaction:gunsfiring:
  5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Me too......
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

We serve no wine before its time!
  7. John Allin

Timing is everything.....
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Hey, when I was Jay's age I knew everything about everything. Now I'm old enough to know how much I don't know, and it's getting worse every day....
  9. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Your profile says you're 19. How young are these guys working for the town?
  10. nysmokeater

nysmokeater Junior Member

Before you trash them , you ought to walk in their shoes, driving a municipal plow is different than a 8' pickup plow. I drive a plow for our town it is a tandem axle with sander, 14' front nose plow with 14' wings on both sides. Not only are you dealing with the blinding snow but also with idiot drivers. If you have never done it dont knock,em.
  11. nysmokeater

nysmokeater Junior Member

oh yeah, as far as mailboxes they are in the legal right away and therefore are subject to damage, more damage is done to mailboxes by heavy wet snow than the actual plow, wet snow will knock a mailbox along way and in this country if you are not plowing fast enough to throw the snow a good distance you will have problems and have to be shelfing all winter long to have a place to put the snow,
  12. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

ok im sorry it came out like that

Listen im sorry it sounded soo knocking on the drivers. I admit im 19 but I have more experience than one might give me credit for. I was raised from my birth in the seat of a plow truck. I have been plowing on my own since before i got my license when my father used to take me out in a few driveways. I have been plowing in municipal trucks and have many friends who work in the highway and parks dept in my town. I have plowed in many different types of trucks and believe me i do know a whole hell of a lot more than you guys may think. Maybe you need to have seen some of the things ive seen these guys do before you go knockin my age and my talents in the plowing field
  13. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

That's why this is such a great place. We're all here to share our own experinces and benefit from the experience of others.
  14. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't care how many hours you have ridden it is not the same as driving. It upsets me because these guys work really hard to do the best job possible, well atleast my crew does.

After you go out a plow an 18" storm where most of the snow falls in a 12 hour period, and you spend an aditional 24 hours cleaning up. Then I will listen to you thoughts on plowing roads. This is plowing with a big truck and wing, not a pick up. I am sure that you will hit a mailbox, or come darn close.

15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Heck Amherst NY dedicates a couple crews to replacing mailboxes in the winter/spring. I'd love to see most anyone here plow 7ft of snow. Highway Depts. here work as long as the law will allow them. Yeah 4-6 hrs sleep every couple days is not fun. Amazing tho I was able to pass 3/4 the roads at any given time.

Every year I get at least one new mailbox. A few times the plow killed it either plowing or pushing the piles back further, or the snow it's self knocked it over.

Mail boxes are the Dot's least concern in a storm.
    1st, priority is their own saftey, tring not to kill themselves, hit an occupied vehical or person.
    2, To open up nessary roads & lead emergency vehicals to thier destination.
    3, Avoid hitting parked objects such as cars & trucks completely burried in snow, fire hydrants, utility poles & boxes, etc...
    4, Get the Main roads open, In bad storms thay close the highways so thay can focus on #2.
    5, Salt main roads.
    6, all the other roads.
    7, Avoiding mail boxex, curbs, lawns.
    Just picture yourself up for 3 days straight, then hoping into your truck & driveing arround...

Well these guy stay up for 3 days on coffee, some driving 40ft wide plows arround, just so people like us can get to our contracts & so the medics can get to your fathers house becasue his heart just stopped & is literaly dead. Personally if the plow driver tore up every mail box on the way I'd par for it myself if it saved someones life. A lot of these guys may be new or not know the route. Low visibility, Picture yourself going even 1/2 the speed limit when you cant see the road?

Wanna know how thruway drivers go 55mph plowing 2 lanes per truck, in no visibility? Thay hope thay can see the guard rail while listening to the reflecters on the pavement hitting the blade. Yeah, thay know when the left wing is hitting it just right. Hit the wake up strips & they are to far, talk about a rough ride. Hopefully there is no one in front of them or they at least have their flashers on where you can swerve to aviod them. Usually the middle guy just follows the first guys lights & the 3rd guy follows the 2nd & listens on the right side. You try covering up the windshield with a white sheet & not hitting anything.
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Some words of advice to make your stay at Plowsite more enjoyable:
    While you may think you have the snowplow world by the jingles, if you had spent some time looking at older threads here, you'd realize just how much you have to learn. I can't recall anyone being discriminated against due to their age, but a wise guy attitude is usually stopped in its tracks. I don't know of anyone who likes a know it all, but you have proclaimed yourself to be one. Have you ever considered where the phrase "Young and stupid" may have come from? Take another look at Digger's original post, it holds a lot of wisdom. Us old farts have been in your shoes, one day you will realize how true it is.

Next, let me introduce you to the "Search" feature of the forum. In the upper right hand corner of each page you'll find the word "Search". Before you introduce what you believe is a new topic, give it a try. I have seen all your threads, and in each case the revalation you have blessed us with has been discussed here before. I believe that's why several of them have received no response.

I read one of your threads where you express your enthusiasm in finding this site. This is where you have something in common with almost everyone here. I find myself at this forum more frequently than any other I visit, there's a great bunch of guys here who will do just about anything to help someone. Perhaps you have a great deal of knowlege you can offer someone in need, but believe me, there are quite a number of members here who can offer you a world of information. I think you will find if you tone it down a notch or two, you will be much better received.

You're at a fork in the road, which way do you turn?

Moderators, if I have overstepped my bounds, my apologies.
  17. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I'm reminded of the definition of "The Generatrion Gap".

It is, "How you explain to a 19 year old that someday he'll be as stupid as his old man."
  18. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I think you said it just about correct.

But, I will yield to Chuck Smith, who from what I have read here on plowsite, along with John Allin and a few others are the masters of plowing.

19. John Allin

Ok Rick....
    I'm flattered....
    Down boy.
  20. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

im sorry

once again guys my appologies i didnt mean to make my post so brutal on the men and women who dedicate days at a time with no sleep or time to see their families. Please accept my appologies and as i said i want to stay a strong member of this forum and help anyone i can.

once again my appologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.