1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipal Sidewalk plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Apr 11, 2001.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Anybody out there running a Holder or a Trackless for sidewalk snow removal, or do you know of a competitive machine? Up here Government is moving to privatize a lot of their services, and I have been asked to bid on a contract for the next 3 years on sidewalk snow removal. I will need a specialized machine to do the job. I will have a local shop build a 50" folding V plow (He's built several from 8 to 12 feet). It has to be able to run a blower (50"), and no, a skid steer with a hydro run blower won't work. And carry a at less a 1/2 yard of salt/sand in a spreader that will spread both. I don't want a tow behind, because the machine will have to backup.
    Thanks

Bill

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Buy a John Deer Gator

Buy a curtis Snow plow and gator cab, and a downeaster spreader.

Plow 6' something at a time with the plow, and hold up to 2/3 of a yard in the downeaster spreader.

Do a search on gator snow removel, I wrote something about this a few months ago.

Geoff

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff I've looked into the Gator, it just won't move 2-3 feet of snow in a sidewalk after the highway plow filled it in. I think it might work as a back up, and it will spread sand/salt. The machine I need has got to be able to run a blower, and be able to move a 50" wide path of snow up to 3' deep, at a reasonable pace. I did ask for any input on a thread a while ago from anyone with a Gator, but didn't get much response.

Thanks
    Bill

4. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

Them company I plow with has a pretty big contract with the town for 6 schools and a couple pretty big parks. Our sidewalk crews use quads and big honda snow blowers but it gets tuff after like 1.5 feet. I agree about that the skid steer is no good on sidewalks. The town that we work for still does some of the walks alond the roads and they use a track drive Bombider with a V plow. That thing is awsome and will rip trough any amount of snow. It's got a cab and heat too.

5. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Here the town uses Jeeps & tractors with V plows.

6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Bombiders are kings of sidewalks.

7. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

i had seen the last winter i was plowing that one of the towns i worked in they send out a toro groundsmaster or two for the whole storm with a blower on it. what you are gonna do about the salting i have no clue. why cant you use a skid steer with plow on it? a lot of guys around here use big tractors with plows or skid steers with plows to do commercial walks.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

We use my brother's jeep CJ-7 to do sidewalks for our commercials. We run a stright 6.5 blade. I have been toying with the idea of making a v blade for it. I think that would work the best with a little weight or maybe a tailgate spreader.

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok,

You will need a Trackless or something a long that lines to do what is required in the contract. Well for the cost of the Trackless you could buy 2 more pick ups, or a very well set up dump truck.

Now, what can you make more money with 2 more pick ups plowing, or a trackless doing work for the city.

The city knows what it cost to plow the side walks, they are trying to find a cheaper way to do it. You are there cheaper way, they hope. If you need to invest the cost of a trackless to do the job, I think your better off with 2 more plow trucks. It will make you more money.

In the places I plow we could use the gator to do the walks, because I would make sure my drives put the windrows of snow on the other side of the road.

Geoff