1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipal Sidewalk Machine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flaggship, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Flaggship

Flaggship Junior Member
    from Maine

Does anyone have any recommendations, on what type of municipal sidwalk snow blower and tractor they would buy? What is the general cost? Life expectancy? Reliability? Etc? Thanks

2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

Depends how much sidewalk you want to do , how much you want to spend... etd..

i used a bombardier with t v plow... it will go through anything, ... it is very reliable although it is 20 years old...new these thing can be up to 80 grand. but if you have miles of sidewalks that is what i would go with, it also depend on how wide are the sidewalks,

3. Flaggship

Flaggship Junior Member
    from Maine

how does plow work with high banks

how does that plow work once you have huge banks mid season? I was thinking of just a snowblower attachment. THanks

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Trackless MT5T, I dumped the Trackless blower and added Normand sidewalk blower. I also have a Case DX40 compact tractor with a Machinabilty V blade , both have drop spreaders.

I contracted about 30 miles of municipal sidewalks. If you are doing any amount of sidewalks in a heavy snow area you need a good municipal tractor.

A new Trackless is about 120K with attachements, there are a couple of other makes Holder, and Maclean, but the pricing is about in the same range, and although the Maclean is fairly new, I had a chance to demo 1 and they are impressive. Holder is European and parts supply/pricing has been an issue. I like my Trackless and would buy another.

If you are doing any amount of sidewalks where the DOT plows the road beside them you'll need a good blower, once the banks get a bit high then you have to be able to blow the snow, and most times you will be moving snow plowed off the road, which can be heavy, icy and full of everything from hubcaps to anything else that can fall off a passing truck or car.

My Trackless is an 03 Model, bought new, but like any snow removal machine you can expect higher then normal repair /maintenance costs.

Pay close attention to dealer support, and have a backup plan/machine, downtime is not an option.

Bill

5. nsmilligan

Here's a picture of my Trackless

snow plows 001.jpg

6. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Trackless is the way to go... and that one is a beauty!!

7. Flaggship

Flaggship Junior Member
    from Maine

why normand?

Milligan, why the normand blower? What would i expect to pay for a 5-6 year old trackless and blower setup? how many hours is average? Any suggestions on where to find a used one? been looking with little luck. thanks

8. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Not trying to hijack & I know you didn't ask me but SA Mclean in Limerick always has a few used ones. Right there in the great State of Maine

S. A. McLean, Inc.
    622 Elm St. Rt. 11
    Limerick,ME 04048 207 793 4267 www.s-a-mclean.com

9. MacLeanMV

MacLeanMV Junior Member

Hey Gents,

What do you think of the MacLean MV?
    [​IMG]

10. nsmilligan

The Normand blower has a lot more capacity then the Trackless blower ,( tons/hour), plus a lot less issues (break downs). A 5-6 year old Trackless would likely be in the 30-50K range depending on condition. Most machines usually see less the 400 hours /year. The dealer in Eastern Canada is Saunders Equipment
    in Fredericton NB they usually have a few used machines. Google Trackless vehicles and get the name of the dealer(s) in the NE. Most should have a few used machines on hand. I would check with SA Maclean they seem to have a few .

Some of the problem areas, center pins (make sure the center section is tight), check for frame cracks around the center section and in front of the rear wheels. radiator and hydraulic cooler leaks. drive shafts at the center section, these are about $1k from Trackless, I have a spicer # that will replace them for about $150.

Also google Holder they have a few used machines on hand.
    Check with Maclean, they are new and want to get more machines out there, maybe they could swing a deal on a lease/rental that would work for you.

Bill

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  11. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I have a Trackless, and I am anything but happy with Trackless. They gouge the hell out of their parts and the dealers are snooty. Their view is, if you need the part bad enough, you'll pay our price.....and that's that. I've got over $11,000 into my mt3 and it's broke more than it's not. and every time it breaks, the bill is over $2500...and I'm NOT exaggerating. I've got emails to back it up.

12. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

Kutota

Before you go out and spend big money take a look at Kubota’s 8540 narrow tractor and Kanlan attachments. I am not knocking dedicated sidewalk units but you will save a ton of money and still have a hell of a unit. 70,000 to set up or less and the mclean/kanlan blower is good.

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would say it depends on the sidewalk width more than anything.

I personally would try to find an ASV RC30 and stick a blower on the thing. Then you have a machine that can be used year around.

I'm sure you could also find a plow that you could modify to be only as wide as the machine when angled if you want to go that route also.

14. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

How about a Ventrac ?

15. hawkfan45

hawkfan45 Junior Member
    from Ohio

16. nsmilligan

Most of the wear items, ujoints brakes etc are all common items if you can cross them at NAPA etc. or have them made at a local machine shop if time premits. Biggest secret is maintainance, the machines center section has to be greased after each days use, or you'll be replacing center pins and bushings.

Actually I found Trackless has reduced some of their parts pricing, but then again go buy a genuine CAT part!:eek:

Bill

17. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

We rely heavily on the Ventracs around here but I'm not sure how they would handle the extreme duty of city sidewalks. We do miles of sidewalks with them here but not much in the way of ice and frozen slush. I would consider the tractors commercial duty and the snow blowers heavy homeowner grade.

The dual wheels still need to be taken off the tractors in the pic. They were fresh off the delivery truck when that was taken.

IMG_20111028_080830.jpg

IMG_20111102_082142.jpg

18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree.

I've seen a JD 5083 narrow setup with the blower that Joe is talking about. Runs off the rear PTO included with the blower. Lots of HP and speed, not much maintenance like the other machines these guys are talking about. Still have the option of using the 3 point as well.

19. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

20. nsmilligan

One of the problems with the "narrow" tractors is they are too tall, also they are not narrow enough for a lot of sidewalks most municipal here are 48", so they can do damage to the edge of the sidewalks. The 5083 is 83 HP at the engine and 67 PTO. If your doing a lot of sidewalks then you want the blower on front, knock another 15-20% off the PTO rating to run the front mount setup.
    The Trackless & MacLean and Holder are all over 100 at the PTO, Also they are designed so the front and rear wheels track in the same path around a corner, so if the front clears a pole and you don't move the wheel then the rear will clear.
    The narrow tractors will work , if the sidewalks are pretty straight, and there aren't a lot of obstructions ie guy wires, signs etc. The Ventrac looks similar to the Steiner tractors, they will work, but a slow compared to a real municiple tractor.

Bill