1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipal noise by-laws - gotta love them

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Landcare - Mont, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

So, at 1h30 this morning, one of loaders is stopped by the municipal public security. The loader is working at a long-term healthcare facility in the midst of apartment and condo buildings. The public security person warns our operator in writing that he's violating the noise by-law making machine noise that's audible from more than 30 metres (100 feet) away between the hours of 21h00 and 6h00. If we do it again, the fine is $2,500 to the building owner/occupant. Fabulous. When else are you supposed to clear snow? The staff and visitors park in all their lots all day long - nights are the only time there's only a few vehicles.

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Isn't there an exception for snow removal equipment? We have an exception to our noise laws that let snow equipment work 24/7.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Also the backup beeper is probably the loudest part of the machine if it has good exhaust. Maybe just unhook the beeper.

4. Landcare - Mont

Can't imagine the ramifications if you unhook the safety alarm and then backed over some random pedestrian.

5. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

7. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Something tells me These are the folk b!tching up a storm when there snowed in at 6:58am

8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I hate that line "some people have to go to work tomorrow" b*tch I've been working for over 40hrs this is my work. Really grinds my gears

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Wooden nickel wrote on Feb 21, 2013 4:00 AM:
    " I agree that clearing snow during the storm is totally different that cleaning up after the storm. Running machinery in the middle of the night is unacceptable and the name of this contractor should have been included in this story. There was obviously no urgency in clearing a PARKING LOT 3 days then again 7 days after the snow stopped falling! The facilities manager statement that he had to keep the lot clear just in case they were to open lends me to believe there was no hurry!! "

BooHoo
    :cry:

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

11. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

12. jdo150

jdo150 Member

I lend you my old Michigan loader with a screaming Detroit in it

13. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Some people need a hobby :nod:

14. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I had one guy chase me down in a condo at 10 pm saying I was plowing too loud and that he couldnt sleep. I said I cant sleep either, I have to be up all night plowing your damn parking lot!

15. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

Gets better guys we made the 6 o'clock news!

http://www.wfsb.com/story/21301718/complaints-about-noise-in-new-britain-following-storm

In case anyone was wondering why it was 2/10 and then again on 2/14 with the loader. We did not have access to the facility until 2/10 as the city had not done a pass on the road until that morning some time and we worked there from about 11 am until some time around 4am to restore facility access. 36+" standing inches on the lot and a plow pile like I have never seen before on the apron.

On 2/14 Yes Valentines day I pissed off my wife just so I could go make noise for something that was not important. After running our loaders around the clock all week we went in to restore the parking lot as they had lost 60% of the parking.

16. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

IF that law goes into effect it will only last as long as the first big storm impacts businesses. I'm sure places like Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Micky D's, Lowe's etc. will want their lots clear by the time they open.....

17. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

You could hear a prius driving through a lot from 100 feet away.

18. Landcare - Mont

Just talked to our operator who had the problem last night. Tonight, he had to go out earlier than all the other guys so he could get that job done before 21h00. He said everything went very well except, somehow, he had to make an awful lot of noise at about 20h45. Oh well, if you gotta, you gotta. LOL

19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

"Audible" is not a legal term for defining sound levels. This is something that needs to be defined in dB.

I wonder what the legal impact would be of NOT having a noise exception for snow removal equipment? One would think that if the government takes it upon themselves to restrict the times that you are legally allowed to clear snow, that they MUST assume responsibility for all the side-effects of that... people getting stuck and missing work, injuries and/or property damage that result from it.... etc.

Quite frankly though, about residential noise... if you live in a place with a huge parking lot requiring heavy equipment and/or lots of time to clear in the middle of the night, that is really your CHOICE. Nobody forcing your to live in apartment squalor. If you own a house near industrial/commercial/apartments, then obviously you got that for a discount as a result of low value area in proximity to such things, same thing... your choice. Don't like middle of the night snow removal? Move.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

This is awesome:

"Pouliot claims that many people in the 33-unit building and in nearby buildings are upset about the matter, but do not want to speak out."

If they don't want to speak out, then they understand the matter and don't AGREE with her. Apparently, this is all just ONE NIMBY being a bi**h.
    Also... "upset about the matter" doesn't mean that they're upset about noisy snow removal... they might be upset about NOISY NIMBYS.