1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipal Insurane?

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by KBTConst, Dec 6, 2011.

1. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Does anyone know of a good insurance company for municipal insurance?

2. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

There's not anyone on this site that plows roads for their village or township that has to carry municipal insurance?

3. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Not quite sure what you mean by Municipal Insurance? I have General Liability and Commercial Vehicle policies. I'm covered for snow plowing in addition to the other types of work I do and the Borough I work for is named as additional insured on both policies. Also have to provide performance bond. That's it. Never heard of "Municipal insurance", sorry. What are you being requested to provide? Most municipal contracts I've seen spell it out pretty clearly?

4. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Should have added that as far as companies to look into, my advice would be to find a local independent agent that is familiar with plowers or contractors. They will know which companies to go to for your particular situation and shop around to get you the best rate. My Gen. Liab. and Comm. Veh. are with different companies for this reason due to the types of work I do, but I only deal with my agent and she does the rest.

5. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

This is what the village boards lawyer is asking for. I told them my GL and Comm. Ins. should cover this but they still are asking for a Municipal policy? So I did call a local agent for this and by chance he is the village insurance agent also so he is checking in on what they are asking for he said I'm not government and only government can carry Municipal insurance so hopefully he will get this figured out. Thanks for the response.

6. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Yeah good luck to you. Hope it gets figured out. I would think they just need to be listed as additional insured which should be no big deal. Half these small municipalities and their lawyers for that matter seem to not know what the hell is going on or what they are doing. I'm having issues now with a new municipal contract that they are requiring a performance bond. Problem is it is various kinds of work as needed on an hourly basis. Lawyer says "just tell your agent you need a perf bond". Ins agent says "how the hell am I supposed to know what amount the bond is to be for?". The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing and it takes weeks or months to get anything done when it should be a matter of a few hours or a couple days at most half the time. Our tax dollars hard at waste, oops work.

7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I hear you about the waste. This is the first yr for the village to hire out there snow plowing so they really don't know what they are doing,.Basically listening to the lawyer. I got a couple of other numbers from Granview and working on getting some other quote. It will all work out in the end I know everyone on the board so I know I wont lose the job because of this it's just going to take some time to get it figured out. Hope you get yours figured out with out to much stress.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why are you adding anyone as additional insured? They should gave their own policy that protects them. Your policy is there to protect you not them as well.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's the way it is if you want the work. More and more companies are doing it. If you don't then just stick to driveways.

KBT,did that company ever work numbers out for you?

10. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I wasn't adding anyone I took over plowing my villages roads and that is what their lawyer was telling them that I need. It turned out that all I have to have is my gen. liab. and commercial ins. If your not part of a government entity you can't get municipal insurance that's bad that the lawyer didn't even know this.

11. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I ended up going with the same company that the village has theres thru and it was alot cheaper than I was paying my original company and more coverage.

Thanks for the numbers They were a big help.

12. peteo1

Explain the additional insured then. Not being a smart ass, I just don't get why you need to have someone else on your policy in order to get work.

13. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

After talking with my insurance agent I found out I can't carry munipale insurance because i am not a government entity I just have to carry the normal general and commercial insurance. It turns out that the lawyer didn't know what he was talking about. I don't have to have any other person on my policy.

Don't you give your customers a copy of your policy to show them that you are covered incase you back into a pole or garage door? There insurance doesn't cover your mistakes that's why you carry insursnce.

14. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I don't give my residential customers a copy just all commercial customers.

15. peteo1

Yeah I prove I have insurance I just don't make them additional insured. My policy is there to cover me and whatever I screw up not them and their mistakes.

16. grandview

17. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

My policy is there to cover me and whatever I screw up not them and their mistakes.[/QUOTE]

This is the same for me, My policy covers what ever my guys or myself screw up. If I hit a stop sign while plowing the village roads my insurance covers it not the village's insurance, if the village employee hits the stop sign the village's insurance covers it not mine

18. peteo1

Gotcha. That's how mine is but I've never had to do the additional insured.

19. grandview

This is the same for me, My policy covers what ever my guys or myself screw up. If I hit a stop sign while plowing the village roads my insurance covers it not the village's insurance, if the village employee hits the stop sign the village's insurance covers it not mine[/QUOTE]

Expanding on this if I'm right. He knocks over the stop sign and some runs through the intersection and gets in an accident.They would sue the village and you. But with the additional insurance they will sue you first then your insurance would be first in line to pay out..I think that's how it works.

20. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Expanding on this if I'm right. He knocks over the stop sign and some runs through the intersection and gets in an accident.They would sue the village and you. But with the additional insurance they will sue you first then your insurance would be first in line to pay out..I think that's how it works.[/QUOTE]

Correct, but with having $2 mill. in coverage most likely the village wouldn't have to pay.Thumbs Up