1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipal guys, who builds your new patrol trucks?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rlu_tech, Jan 12, 2016.

1. rlu_tech

rlu_tech Junior Member

I work for a county highway department. We normally purchase two new tandem patrol trucks every year as a rotation schedule. We purchase the chassis, dump/salter box, plow, wing(s), hydraulics, and electrical all individually. We then custom build the trucks in house to the way we see fit. Works out very well.

I'm just wondering if a lot of other municipalities do this to, or do you have the trucks built? I figure most small townships do not have mechanics to build their trucks, but maybe county and state DOT's do?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

The lowest bidder

3. rlu_tech

rlu_tech Junior Member

Yes, that is how the sales are awarded. I'm wondering if municipalities build their own trucks tho???

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

No, just maintain them. They are bought at the lowest price possible with plows and spreaders ready to go. Only thing ive seen them have to do on their own was some of the brine rigs, I know alot of them are bought and then modified in house.

5. rlu_tech

rlu_tech Junior Member

Yea, figured that. You get a better quality truck when you build it in house. We use stainless steel hydraulic tubing instead of hose. Also fully shielded boat cable for wiring with sealed weather and metripack connectors.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

City I use to work for as well as county now buys chassis then sends to 2 upfitter. Box first then for plows and sander.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

City of Grand Rapids has done some in the past. Stupid thing is, they spent aboot 400 hours doing it themselves, Upfitters figures 40 hours.

Dump, front plow frame, underbody, spreader, controls, wiring and hydros.

Waste of tax dollars.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My town puts out the specs they want ,get bids and have it delivered to them, About 250k for each one.

10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Goes out to bid. Complete waste of money to do in house. Plus the cost of setting up a complete fabrication shop.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not only that, but are you in the business of maintaining roads or building trucks?

12. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I know a lot of highway depts. will take on work just to have work for their employees through the winter.

Town near me kept having their employees putting extensions on their building during the winter months.

Saved the town money and prevented seasonal lay offs. So I can see if a hwy dept has the talent and they want to do it then go for it.

Hwy Dept garage's will already have lifts, welders, hydraulic press, drill press, bench grinders, lathe, over head hoist. So I do not see them having to spend much money on equipment needed to customize their own trucks.

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Only question becomes warranty work.

14. rlu_tech

rlu_tech Junior Member

We have found over the years that building the trucks ourselves actually provides our county better service during storms. We can address problem areas ourselves and make corrections and improvements to keep that truck running during a storm. An up fitter does not care how the hydraulic hoses are routed because they won't be changing them during a storm. The same up fitter can build your trucks every year, but they won't be consistent either.