1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipal govt plow drivers

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by merry plowboy, Oct 2, 2010.

1. merry plowboy

merry plowboy Junior Member

Anyone else only plow the big roads and highways?. Been doing it for over twenty years here in Ontario and would like to hear the thoughts of other gov't workers. We have a ban on hand held communication devices while driving here in Ontario, so that means we won't be able to use our mike phones (telus) this season to talk to each other while plowing in a line. What is everyone else using? Also, anyone else using salt brine for pre-wet or anti-icing applications. If so , how effective do you find it? lastly, does your workplace have a salt management plan and is it helping to reduce salt use on the roads?

Our winter night patrol starts next week so it wont be long before we start to get early morning call-outs for icy hills and bridges.
  2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

got one right here! been plowing for 7 years now b4 that i had my own stuff. we have a ban to but we are allowed to use our CB's and our mobile radios in the trucks (no phones though) we don't have any salt management program if your using to much u get your but chewed out and we just use salt if its to cold we mix it with liquid mag and if we start running low we mix it with sand. have fun we still have a while for snow down here.
  3. SnowRemovalKing

SnowRemovalKing Junior Member

We rent our wheel loaders and big blower (Sicord 7200) to various governments when they have extra big storms. We have never had restrictions placed on us--we use our own Nextel plus cell phones for some personal and all business communications. They are really handy when one needs to find parts quickly, in the middle of the night, etc. They are very important when communicating our timing and routing back to the owner dispatch who is responsible to keep us moving.
  4. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I'm on my 4th year working gov't on top of my own stuff. I work full time for a local township.
  5. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i also work for my local town...plow in a single axle international, last year we was our first year running a brine solution as a pre-wet for our material..seemed to work very well during the monster storms we got last year
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I do....really gets in the way of my own stuff! ;) I will try to get a pic of my truck. We have a department frequency we all talk on.
  7. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

same here..they say we arent sopposed to use cells for personal use but its not really inforced
  8. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

Got one here, this will be my 5th year in a big truck. We have 200g of calcium on every truck and have probably used it 5 times in the last five years. Maine DOT prewets all their salt, and they use 90% salt and very little sand.

We usually put out two rounds of salt per event, once at the beginning and once at the end. Rates typically range between 500-700 pounds to the mile. All 15 trucks have Dickey-John spreader controls and are calibrated every season, thats how we keep track of usage. After the first round of salt, we load up with sand until the last round of salt is put off. All our trucks are internationals, six wheelers and nine single-axles.
  9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Another here, 10 years contracting to Mass Highway four large trucks three spreaders various other specialized equipment.4 years with the City of Beverly Ma. 1 year with Maine DOT,1 year with the Town of Jackson,NH and 2 years with NH DOT....
  10. backhoedude22

backhoedude22 Junior Member

I've been working for a municipality for 10 years. I split salt runs with another guy with a International 6 wheeler and usually plow with a backhoe and a pusher.. I fabricate alot of our equipment, Dump boxes, pushers, expandable V-plow, flat beds, etc.....
  11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I thought when using the Nextel/Mike phones in that mode they are allowed or that you would be exempt? Is a cop cop really going to single you out in a congo line of plows and pull you over for talking on the hand held?

I'd windrow him/her into the ditch faster then they could flip open there ticket book. The cops abuse that law so badly not to mention other laws too.

What municipality do you work for? Here in Peel the region has been spraying brine for a few weeks now. :dizzy:

Can you really get black ice this early on over passes?
  12. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I also plow muni, and am the supv. for the PW dept.
    We use Nextels (push to talk) most of the time, but we do have CB radios with our own channel in the trucks. they are also weather radios so we can listen to that too. Have to be careful on that though because anyone can pick up the freq. and listen.

We started with liquid about 6 years ago. Sraight brine. Worked well but had it's limitations, pre-storm and during application. I now mix an 80/20 blend (brine/geomelt55).
    Works much better in a wide variety af applications.
    We have reduced our salt usage by almost 35% since starting liquids. Last year I only had one driver with an average of over 200lbs/lane mile, and that's with adding 25% for empty miles.... it does work.

We have BMP's (best management practices) when it comes to salt. Storage is big, but equipment clean-up is equally important (we now do all of ours from start to finish indoors). Also, application is a heavy training topic.....
  13. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

i plow a couple big roads and sub divisions, stores, offices.....
    We use brine and CB radios
    They dont care about phones or radios here...

But for the brine I brine/ pre-wet All my commercial
    It works great
    Keeps walks (most importantly) clear for the most part until we can come back.

for the public roads the money isnt there anymore! 3 years ago i plowed this sub and the strrets were as clear as they are in the summer.

We used to lay rock salt on every inch of these streets! Now we only Brine every intersection.......And they complain that the subs dont look as good as they used to even though its been the same guys plowin' the same street for 10 years!
  14. john mc

john mc Member

I have been spreading for mass.dot 5 years. we use strait salt @ 260 lbs per lane mile. we also pre wet with mag chloride . we are running a new closed lope system this year . time will tell if it works.
  15. backhoedude22

backhoedude22 Junior Member

Sorry forgot to add we use Nextel 2-ways for all our communication, it's probably not always legal but that's all we have...
  16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have been doing municipal roads here in Middlesex County NJ for the past 35 years. we use mostly CB;s and the past 10 years nextel direct connect radios. salt is only put down to melt the ice after the snow stops and the roads are are cleared.
  17. Actioninc

Actioninc Junior Member

Anyone keep track of how many lane miles a single axle dump truck with an 11ft plow can do per hour? In residential neighborhoods, on a 4-6" snow, on average? I figured about 10(lane miles per hour) including intersections.
  18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

it all depends on lane size and truck speed. 10 ft lanes and 20 mph, 20 lane miles per hour.
    12 foot lanes at 10 mph would be around 8 lane miles per hour
  19. matteo30

matteo30 Member

I have a four mile section of roads I plow for the town. I have a 10 ft plow and it takes four passes to clear the roads and intersections. I can finish the route complete in 4 hours. So I guess I am doing 16 lane miles in 4 hours. Hope this helps
  20. Township1

Township1 Member

There is alot of factors that can cause significant differences in what the truck will be able to handle in a specified amount of time.

Number of intersections is a big factor - I have routes set up with similar trucks one doing about 5 miles (10 lane) and about 40 intersections, and one doing 14 miles (28 lane) and only about 15 intersections, and they take about the same amount of time.

You also need to factor in traffic conditions, my rural routes can go much quicker then my suburban routes And the ones near the schools, forget them if there is school traffic, you might be lucky to do 1 lane mile per hour.

Other factors that my effect this are cul-de-sac's/deadend or other turn arounds required, parking situations, hills, amount of hazards (kids to watch out for), etc........