1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Municipal/Goverment Bids Experiece

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RLM, Jul 23, 2012.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I recently bid on a school district, was verbally told we had it (low bid) I speced my insurance different than the bid, they asked me to, & (I told them before bid opening & noted in bid). Long story short they didn't have enough bids, changed some things (to my insurance specs). It went for re-bid. They ussally prefer to break it up so if one contractor falls short they arent screwed, but "apparent low" is a factor, I'm told. But 3 years ago they didn't like the guy doing entire district and managed to spend 25+% more & use other contractors (including us for one sector).
    From the re-bid opening, I kept my pricing the exact same, excact specs didmn't seem right to change it. Another contractor came in exactly $ 10 per sector less, he had my first bid and just took $ 10 off it appears.
    The difference is we use an Artic, he uses rubber edge pushers, neither is specified. The Artic will save them more than $ 10 in salt, let alone facilties cost (cleaning & damage) from all the slush tracked into buildings. I sent a letter & brochures via email to the school board and CSP/SIMA materials (I am in both).
    I'm intrested to see what the outcome is in selling value to government.
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Low bid is low bid especially on schools
    Looks like he will get it sorry
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

See if the contract bid said responsible low bidder,just because he was low bidders doesn't always get it.
  4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Pick apart the bid what are the pre qualification requirements? There is huge room to have bids thrown out in goverent work if the bidder didn't cross the t's and dot the i's. I would look at all his paper work again and see if you can get him thrown out.
  5. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Go over the bid and addendum with a fine tooth comb...I'd go with grandview and agree its usually "lowest responsible bidder"...good luck
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I'm more intrested than anything else, the guy that undercut me had a hard time covering 1 sector last season, then called and complained I bid on his sector the first go around. It is the only work he has so it's not like he can pull other equipment from other accounts. It is a three season contract, we went and really looked at it after the first bid to find any hidden efficiencies and found a bunch, in all the sectors, and in 3 seasons most of my large equipment (which is newer) will be paid off, but still low hour in VERY good shape. Needless to say my bid at that time will be VERY aggressive.
    The account has it's quirks so I'm not to upset; they have call you in (and many times wait till last minute), they salt their own stuff and its per trip.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  7. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

gov't bids are what they are.....i do tend to believe thing happen for a reason.. maybe this guy will fall flat on his face, let te agency know that you are willing to step in ( if you are )

but it just leaves other opportunity ( and possibly better, for you to pursue)