1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Muncie Powermaster Troubleshooting.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Duncan90si, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I have a 90 International 4700 with a Muncie clutch type pump, with a Muncie Powermaster control box inside the cab. The numbers on the back of the box are DSI 31000-0001. The box controls the dump bed, plow and an under tailgate salt spreader all in one. The truck was equipped with this when I purchased it 2 years ago.

I have recently installed a plow and a salt spreader on the truck for the first time since I have owned it. The spreader is not functioning properly. It has separate variable speed controls for the spinner and auger and they share an on/off button. The spinner works flawlessly. The auger won't operate correctly though. The main power switch for the box has 4 different positions. From left to right they are: Test, Off, On, Auto. The auger will only spin when the main switch is in the "Test" position. The variable speed control will only give me 1 speed instead of the 10 it is designed to do. When the switch is placed on "On" or "Auto" the auger will barely move at all, maybe 1-2 rpms.

I was told that when you put it on "test" that it will open any valve the whole way when the function is activated. This would make sense since I only have one speed and it seems fast. Now I'm gonna get a helping hand tomorrow to help me figure out on the manifold which solenoid is for the auger. When I test the voltage at the solenoid I should have 13-14v when the switch is on test. Now when I turn the box to "on" the voltage should should increase and decrease depending on where the speed control knob is set. correct? If it does not, then that would leave me to believe the the speed control is bad. Am I right for thinking this?

I really need to figure out this problem with the auger. I opened the box up, looked inside and saw circuit boards and realized immediately that I'm out of my league on this one. Anyone ever work on one of these units before? Am I thinking correctly? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.