1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Muncie Central Hydraulics Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, Oct 30, 2004.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I bought an 89 f350 with the muncie central hydraulic system.I turned the hydraulics on when I first got the truck,everything operated o.k but the system was constantly making a loud whining noise.The very next time I turned the system on....nothing. The light comes on to show power,but I can't hear any noise at all and none of the hydraulics do anything. Fluid level is good. engine belts are good. Any ideas?? All thoughts are appreciated. :dizzy:

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if the sound was coming from the pump and now it doesnt do a think you might have fried the pump.

3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Does the pump have a clutch?, if so, check all electrical connections. Also, you could have sheered the key. Couple of things to look at. :cool:

4. northernsweeper

Thanks for the ideas john.I'll post when I find out.

5. northernsweeper

04 I don't know if its the pump,it wouldn't suprise me if it was bad. The noise seemed to come from the whole system though, so I am hopefull.

6. northernsweeper

I looked at the truck again this a;m. What I found was,the clutch on the pump spins when the hydraulics are turned on,so it must be getting power.It acts as though its just not pumping.Would I pull the outlet line off the pump,to determine if the pump is working? Could it be a plugged or perhaps iced up filter? Are there signs to look for that would pinpoint the problem to the pump?Thanks for the input here.I have had no experience with a central hydraulic system and a rocket scientist I am not. :help:

7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

:dizzy:
    are you shure it has enough fluid

8. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Check the fluid level, when that is up to level tee in a pressure gauge on the pressure side to see if it is pumping. Not pumping? You then might have a cashed pump. Check and or replace the filter also. See if that helps. :cool:

9. trashman

trashman Junior Member
    from Vermont

Is the truck a stick or auto?

10. northernsweeper

The truck is an auto trans. I have the sight level tube on the tank.It is about 3/4 full/cold in the tube. I don't have a pressure gauge John.Could I unhook the out line from the pump and find out if its pumping that way?