1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Multiplex & Non Multiplex ~ Inline Wiring Setup Adapter

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RepoMan207, Dec 11, 2010.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Awhile back I installed a dual Fisher wiring setup on my truck. More specifically the Multiplex & Non Multiplex wiring. I believe Fisher....or should I say D&D (Douglas Dynamics) will eventually swap everything over to the multiplex wiring, leaving the 3 plug system nothing more then what a relay system is to most of us today. Whether they do or not, they're still several of us out there that utilize both types of plows.

The problem I ran into when installing my setup was that there is only 1 port connection for either system, meaning you have to pop the hood and unplug one system, and plug the other one in when you want to use it.

[​IMG]

NOTE: If doing this with a 4 Port Module, you'll also need to aquire a 29047 adapter. Simply plug your non multiplex control harness into the 29047, then the 29047 into this adapter.

Fisher's unofficial answer to this is to spice all 3 connections together. Well, as some of you guys know, I'm a bit O.C.C., and I don't deal well with splice and dice methods. Understandably, some do better then others in this department, but I like clean cut OEM connections, period!

The other problem with the intended unplug, re plug method was that it generates an open component to the eliminates when not in use. Last year I utilized a baggy and elastic. According to the Install Guides & Reference manuals, there was supposed to be a dust cover, but it turned out to be an error in the publication process (it happens). A Fisher Rep was gracious enough to locate some blank connections and send them to me recently to use as a dust cover (Thanks Roger!!)

Our resident genius here at PS (B&B) made an obvious and clear solution to my problem.....Make up a "Y" adapter for it. Thanks Mike!! :waving:

So I did just that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. RepoMan207

from Maine

I used Weather Pack connectors, 14 gauge wiring (4 different colors), and reducing Butt connectors to achieve this. I didn't like the idea of using butt connections, however I didn't see any other way to reduce 8 wires to 4 with my novice abilities.

I acquired the same type of connections that were already existing on the harnesses (Square 4 Position Weather Pack Connections) through Summit Racing. It comes as a whole kit, 10 matching Male & Female connectors, a bunch of pin connectors and the seals.

The wiring I had on hand, but you can buy a good 14 gauge wire through just about any auto parts store in a verity of colors. 30" per color is more then enough for this project.

The reducing butt connectors are alittle harder to find, but any radio installation business or possibly Radio Shack will have them. Napa might, but I don't know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. I cut 2, 10" sections per color; 8 wires in total.

2. I took 2 female Weather pack connectors and fastened 4 wires to each, using MALE pins. Make sure to keep the colors uniformed in position, in other words, position "A" on the backside of the connectors had a white colored wire, & "B" had black wire, and so on. It doesn't matter which colors wire you choose to go where, just keep it consistent from connector to connector.

3. I then used a reducing butt connector on the other end of the 10" sections of wires. Match the colors together coming from each female connector, and connect each pair to one butt connector.

[​IMG]

4. I then cut another 8" section per color, connecting each one to the opposite end on the appropriate butt connectors (match the colors).

5. Now I took a MALE Weather Pack connector and fastened each wire to the appropriate location on the back of the connector using FEMALE connector pins. Make sure to take note of the type of connector pins being used and where, otherwise, you will not be able to plug the adapter into your factory harnesses as they're the complete opposite pin pattern per connector.

If your not familiar with the Delphi Weather Pack connectors, I'll include a video at the bottome of this post. I recommend getting the crimping tool. Napa also has the crimper. I used another type and needed to use needle nose pliers quite often to correct the crimps as I went along....not worth it.

You can change the length of the harness by adjusting the lengths of wires cut...obviously, but I kept mine at a good length so I could loop it when I installed it.

I covered mine with black plastic looming as an added protection, but to each his own.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. RepoMan207

from Maine

Video:

DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO HIM WHEN HE SAYS "Put the male pins in the male connectors" THIS IS NOT THE CASE WHEN IT COMES TO FISHER'S WIRING. It's the complete oppisete!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

very clean and professional Ryan

very impressive

I may need your services next year lol

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks Drew! :waving:

Let me know when. I just made up another one for Pete's Install for tomorrow. I have left over material, no need to buy any.

6. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

looks great nice and neat. I have been meaning to do this on mine, but no free time. would you consider making another one to sell?

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah sure. PM me your address. Do you have a 3 port or 4 port?

8. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Ryan, I have a couple questions for you... Now remember I just got a 8' MM2 3wire and I don't know alot about electrical and wiring... So it I wanted to hook an extreme vee up to my truck what would I have to do? Obviously switch controllers, but what would I have to do to make it so I could hook up to an extreme vee or my straight blade? Thanks Ryan.. Sorry for the hijack

9. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i just brought this up not to long. when looking at the diagram in the first post you need to add wires A and B. which one goes right to battery and other in the cab for the controller. it took me about three hours star to finish, but i took my time to make it neat. This is the tread i started on it. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=110141

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

"What ya talkin about Willis?"....lol

Seriously though, I'm missing what you mean here....

11. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

13. bdavis

bdavis Member

Repoman...I have the same situation....I have a 4 port module with a straight blade and recently purchased an extreme v plow....it came with the control harness, fishstick and the adapter (20947) but I think I am missing something and cant figure it out. Any chance of giving me a quick call ...I appreciate it 978-412-9008 brian

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Hopefully this will clearify it a bit for you......You should have my # on caller ID if you need further, but I think what was throwing you off was that I failed to mention the 29175 adapter...it was already present when I started this so I had forgotten to detail it in the long run.

Y Adapter.jpg

Y Adapter.jpg

15. bdavis

bdavis Member

RepoMan....Thanks. I got it figured out with that additional harness.....Thanks!

16. samjr

samjr Senior Member

i have a 4 port man

Think u can make 1 of them up for me :mechanic:
    i got all the fisher stuff here

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

I can do that, do you have the 29047 & 29175 adapters?

How and where do you want me to ship it?

18. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  19. samjr

samjr Senior Member

going to ask a ?

But where does the other end go?
    And after i do this do we still got to open the hood when we hook up to dif plows ?
    BTW man GRATE JOB

Y%20Adapter.jpg

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks!

No, after you install the adapters and my Y harness...your done, hook up at will. With your existing 7 pin control harness (EzV) and the addition of the multiplex wiring (XV), you can operate anything that will mount up to your push plates.

See where the 29175 adapter plugs into the ISO...That stays put, consider it.....an extension of your actual ISO at this point.

Now you would plug the single end of my Y harness into the end of the 29175.

Then plug one of the connectors from the top of my Y harness into the multiplex control harness (4 pin square connector).

Now you need to convert the other end of the non multiplex control harness from a 10 pin (iso style connector) into a 4 pin connector using....you guessed it, the 29047 adapter.

Now plug the other end of my Y harness into that, and your done.