1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

multiple residentials

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Marionlandscape, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Marionlandscape

Marionlandscape Junior Member

I have someone that owns 500 homes in a hundred mile radius in Ohio.
    they want the driveways plowed and walks from the drive to the steps shoveled. they also want the walks salted from the drive to the steps. this is all on a 3" trigger before and after photos have to be submitted. driveways will be all different sizes, they will all be the same price.
    #1 what would you charge per?
    #2 how many trucks would it take you to complete in 24 hrs. (starting from the center of the radius)

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

R U serious? 100 miles? No way to tell.

On edit,and just for kicks, I'll say 20 trucks with a driver and a shoveler, at $50 per pop. 500 homes times $50 would be $25,000 per event, or $1,250 per crew per event.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

That radius is to large for you to service properly.
    A call back could be a 50 mile trip one way.
    Holy shite.
    I get upset if I have to drive across the city.
    You could do it if you had reliable subs in MANY diff areas.
    That large an area snow accumulation will vary from place to place.
    GL

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

are they foreclosed homes that need to be servicied. What you are trying to do is ridiculous. A waste of time. What are you thinking in trying to take on a job like this? You are a crazy. welcome to plowsite.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless they are foreclosed vacant homes where you could do them after a storm I would pass or try find subs in the areas and only do what is close to you.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Pictures before and after. Just trying to manage that alone would be a nightmare.

It sounds like empty properties. IF you can plan out the route's the drivers take you might be doing 4-8 house an hour. So 500 homes might be 125 hours to 62.5 hours of plowing then.

Realistically you might need 12-18 trucks. :laughing: The drive themselves might go for $3 to $8 a walk and $20 to $30 a drive. Consider the nightmare of supplying and training everyone on how to use the camera and to turn the picts in as well. That alone is going to cost you a bundle in time and money.

7. JDiepstra

^^^^^^^^^^ Burkartsplow always makes good posts.

8. Marionlandscape

they are not foreclosed homes but i do have 24-48 hours and can start after the storm

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This does sound kind of crazy thats for sure.
    You would need so many sub in different areas to even make it work. Whats with the pictures the guy not trust you?

10. Marionlandscape

he might trust me but should he trust the subs too? subs will be dispatched from a centralized location. all will be trained and have cameras and laptops and pre routed workorders with GPS nav. I am going to try it with 6 trucks and have a few emergency backup contractors around the perimeter

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow 6 trucks sound pretty ambitious. Hope you are prepared to spend a few more sleepless nights then you normally do. If you have anything around the Findlay area, I can probably help you out in a pinch. I am not looking for full time sites though. If you need to contact me let me know.

12. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If he trust you to do the job, then he is goin to have to trust the subs. He is also going to have to understand picture taking is going to slow down the entire process.
    What part of Ohio is this in.

13. Marionlandscape

central and north central

14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

6 trucks :laughing: in a 100 mile circle ... it must be your :bday:

83 driveways per driver....... in a 100 mile circle ... I must be missing something.

15. Marionlandscape

if they average 10 min per driveway (some wont have driveways some will have larger ones) thats 14 hours. give them 10 hours drive time thats 24 hours. do you guys think this will work?

16. CMU07

CMU07 Member

I think that sounds ambitious. I don't know if someone will keep that pace. 10min with walks cleared and salted. After about 40-50 of them.... I don't know.

17. CMU07

CMU07 Member

Which with drive time will put them into what?... 12-15 hours of straight work.

18. Marionlandscape

I am used to 30-40 hours of straight work I know I can't expect that from my subs but i do all commercial work. I am depending on you guys to say it is possible because I don't do driveways only have ever done 2 or 3 of my vip customers homes. I am estimating 85-90% of these homes are in the cities. another thing to consider it that these are not expensive homes they are $50,000 homes. the more I talk about it the more I talk myself into it. if you were me would you do it? would you use more trucks?

19. JDiepstra

I wouldn't even consider it.... you are in for a world of hurt.

20. Marionlandscape

ok fair enough. maybe you guys should know I will have a dispatcher and office staff running the events. technology will also be a big factor work orders will be completed on the spot with photos submitted and transmitted to the office. then would you attempt it?