1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Multiple Owners

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AndyTblc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Well, I don't wana sound like I'm complaining, but I'm complaining.
    My commercial lot that I do has 2 owners, a sales person, and one of the "on call" employees who has all told me 4 different things what they want done.

1st Owner (ex. gf's step dad)- who called me up and asked if I wanted the job, he said if I can do it for X amount, then I have the job, I told him I can do it, where do you want me to plow and where can I push the snow. He was real cool and said anywhere thats open, I can push the snow, and he showed me where I didn't have to plow. I asked questions. Great.
    After I plowed the first time, I had him come out and look, he said it looked great.

2nd Owner- Asked why I put the snow in the middle of the lot. I said the other owner showed me how far I needed to go, and that I can leave the snow right where it was. He says "Well I need to talk to him. And said he wanted a small part of the back plowed so the employee's can park back there. No big deal

On Call Guy- Very cool about it, he showed me the boundries of where I need to plow in back, and showed me where I need to push the snow in the other part of the lot, all I have to do is push all the snow in the middle then push it off to the side. I plowed Saturday and talked to him Monday, and he said everything looks great, and thats how it needs to be done. He has probly been the most helpful.

Sales Guy- He is the 2nd owners "right hand man" and basically reiterated what the 2nd owner said 3 weeks ago. And then said that the 2nd owner didn't want to pay to have it done on the weekends. I told him the 1st owner said $X amount, and he didn't want to cut a check out for the full amount, so just get whatever I need every couple plows. I have it priced it so it would be paid off in so many plows, then after that, then I'm done being paid, I keep it clear, it took a second for him to comprehend that.
    So I told him I would plow when we got about 5 inches on the weekend or when the storm is done just so it's easier on the truck and have it cleared off for monday. Just so I can have everything be "good" so I could get out of there, just to make them happy.

SO who has 4 people who they have to deal with, The 2nd owner kind of scares me. The Sales guy is......
    The on call guy is pretty cool, he's happy.
    The first owner who hired me is pretty good, and me and my ex gf are good, we broke up because she is going to school 800 miles away and we didnt' want a long distance thing, so we're cool. Only problem is that he didn't go into detail, so I had the on call guy show me the details. Then the other 2 people are just getting in the way.
    I don't think I will be plowing this next year, because the on call guy was going to plow the lot, but his tranny went out in his truck, so thats how I got the job. But I want to keep everyone there happy.

If they keep giving me the go around with everything, I'm just going to tell them, Have a meeting with everyone, discuss what they want, draw me a picture or have 1 person, show me what else they want me to do, not have 4 different people tell me at 4 different times.....

Sorry for being so long, just had to vent. Anyone else have this much fun!! I'm sure there is a few

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Time for a pow wow,get them all together.

3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I'd have a meeting with the owners & be done with it. They are writing the checks... Esp if you thinks it's a one year deal.

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Owner #1 knows it's a 1 year deal, but owner #2 thinks it's a per push, but it's actually a per push per year, so tomorrow when I go there to pick up the check, I'm gonna have a little chat with them. I think i'm better than the guy last year. The reason why the guy last year isn't doing it, is because Owner 1 didn't like the guy, he said he was an idiot. Since he knows me he said he would give me first shot. He didn't consult with the other owner till I plowed and picked up my first check and he showed me the other owner and said I'm the snow plow guy, and cut me a check.
    Oh well

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So your a seasonal contract paid over a couple of billing payments.

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Anyone that plows commercially like that, OR has a condo works for "multiple bosses". Sounds like you got things pretty much under control.

7. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Correct

Yeah, but are they like my situation, 4 different people say different things. I'm starting to get things all down to 1. Tomorrow I'm going in around 8 o'clock.
    We're suppose to get some snow, but they are the first on the list and I start there at or a little after 5, and people roll in at 7:45. So everything is all clear for them when they roll in.
    Then they still complain. Oh well

8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

YES! In fact, many times its much worse. Especially with a condo association you could have two dozen people telling you how to do your job, all a little different of course. Sounds like you're getting all 4 onto the same page so you should be allset. It's a little aggrevating at times but it comes with the territory. Best of luck to you this winter.

They are predicting 16-24" here over the next three days!! wesport:nod::redbounce

9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Well I went there at 8 o'clock this morning to pick up a check, and I asked them if they all talked, and they said yes and that he wasn't sure about the pricing and this and that, and that I'm doing a great job. And I kind of said "a little lack in communication?" And he said "just a little"
    So now we're all on the same page.

10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

get a meeting with everyone involved and then get something in writing...that generally solves all discrepencies

11. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I was ready to do that, then he said everything is good, and once they all talked, and I talked to ONE person, it made a world of difference. They're happy, their employee's are happy, I'm happy, my bank account is happy....

12. redman6565

that's always key payup

13. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Yup. I love this site

14. redman6565

Good. I learn a lot here too

15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

whenever we do work with many small buisnesses/clients in one complex, we always state very clearly that there is "one" contact person, and that all transpondence goes through that one person, so if someone at a condo, or strip mall has a problem with something, they go to that one person, and not me, this is nice because it keeps you from getting in the middle of too much "politics" at a job, also then your contact understands what is and isnt contracted for, so he should be more understanding if something is asked for that goes beyond the scope of work you first contracted for, (if you need to bill more for something)

16. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I will keep that in mind next time I land a commercial contract