1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Multiple misfires on driver side cylinder bank???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by shep28, Mar 30, 2014.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

Truck sat for two and a half weeks after last snow storm. Started her up today and bam.... Three misfire codes on one cylinder bank. Was running great prior. Never had a misfire issue.

Ideas????

99 ram 2500

2. sheiston22

sheiston22 Junior Member

coils?

10 char

3. giggity

giggity Senior Member

Sounds like its time for a tune-up... Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs

4. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Clear the codes and drive it. Secondary air and misfires are common phantom codes. Especially with misfires they can be dampness related. If you're due for ignition maintenance then go for it.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

There's only one coil

Tune up can't hurt. Probably has moisture on it. Cap and rotor for sure

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

01, I think some of my misfire codes were from plug wires, but after I replaced the Distributor Pick-up Assembly in the distributor I haven't had another one pop up.

and if your going to dive. back there to replace the cap and rotor i.d replace the pick-up too

7. shep28

shep28 Member

Thanks for you help. Dampness is was. Upon pulling the plug boots, I noticed that the end of the boot that rests at the base of the plug was submerged in water. I realized that after the last storm, I lightly sprayed the salt off the engine and the rest of the truck as I always do and then parked it and it sat for longer than usual. The truck didn't heat up enough to evaporate the dampness under the hood.

I took a rag and poked down each plug hole with a thin screwdriver to soak up the moisture. Blew out the boots with air. Started her up and she is back in business.

The only issue I will have now it taking the plugs out and replacing them. There is a ton of rust and crud at the base of the plug holes. And why are wires and the cap so expensive:dizzy: these days!!?

Suggestions???

8. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Tune up parts have a massive markup. I just looked it up and I found the cheapest cap list $29. Wholesale is only $10. I guess they are giving shops some room to deal on tuneups.