1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Multiple 810 Problem, please help!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by newlooklandscp, Feb 17, 2007.

1. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Ok guys here it goes, I am sick of blizzard. Nothing but problems this entire season. So if anyone can help me with these issue to make it through the season and then Im selling these puppies off. Both Blades are always cleaned and fluids always changed

Blade #1, the blade is 3 yrs old. When it is plugged into the truck harness its not tight. It moves around and then if it moves the wrong way the blade stops working so you need to get out of the truck mess with the plug and then it starts working again. Sometimes it never happens sometimes it happens all f*cking night. The storm on 2/12 the blade decided to stop moving left and right, no wings, only up and down worked. Hydro fluid was all over the place but all the hoses are fine. So is it are arm?

Blade #2, this blade was new at the end of last yr. My guys are out last night and the call me. The blade wont go down. It moves left, right, and the wings work but its stuck in the up position. Whats the deal? This blade ran fine for 48hrs last storm when the other blade went down and now this one. So as of right now I have NO plows working at all. Any help would be great. O and PS the lights also suck, the never stay, they are always falling, Western here I come.

Thanks guys for your help.
    Ken

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If plug blade 1 into truck # 2 will it work? If so them get a new truck side plug for the #1 truck. Just an idea to try.
    Now as far`as blade 2 will it work in the power hitch mode? if not it is your pump. I have had the same problem ever function worked but down. The first time I had to replace the coil on the valve that controls the float function. Blizzard had me replace it with a weather proof coil ( two rubber o rings ). I had the same problem the following season and I had to replace the float valve. When I took it out I could see a very tiny amount of corrosion where it is pressed together. I replaced it and it is still working today. I think that it builds corrosion faster than other functions because it is in float most of the time you are plowing.
    Just a few ideas to try, I can toally understand your frustration, my brothers western never breaks. It should be something simple, just bad timing

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Same problem on the connector here on a "new this year" 810. Mine will not go down sometimes, get out and wiggle the plug and it will work. I cleaned the connector and now using a zip ties to keep pressure on it.

Light issues here as well. I think after every event tightening the lights is a must. I would LOVE to know who designed the mounting of the lights. Curse him every time I have to tighten them. At first I thought the hole in the tube under the lights was to allow for a socket wrench to get in there. Guess I was wrong. Working a box end in the side of the pipe is a PITA!!! I might bore the hole on the bottom of the tube to facilitate a socket.

4. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I had some of the same ploblems. My plug was not in all the way. Plow would go up and left and right but not down. Took it back to the dealer and he cleaned some ice out of the plug and adjusted a male pin on the plug and put it back together. He then used 2 zip ties and tied the plug togeter. The plug and the Blizzard can be a PITA!

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

blizzard woes....

several random thoughts....

wratcheting wrench works real good on the light bolts

keep the plug clean and well-lubed with dielectric grease, strip the wire loom about a foot, and use plastic wire loom,it is more flexible.

wash the plow after events, and coat with fluid film to prevent corrosion.

more functions, parts, electrical functions do require more maintence/attention from time to time.

I've go 5 seasons on my first plow, has been virtually unstoppable. One wing hose 3 years ago, one cartridge valve this year, and oh, a broke cutting edge first year. Beyond that, occasionally thawing plow out during the season in the garage due to ice/snow buildup (more for the truck then the plow, shifter linkage iced up).

Nothing that has ever left me dead in the water, and mine is the 99 model with my own updates. Just picked up another one friday, and will do the same to it.

My feeling is that some plow jockeys are not meant to run anything that might require them to get out of the truck and take a look at equipment. No offense, but I dont want that driver running my equipment.

6. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Funny thing is I am running 3 810's and a 8611 LoPro in the Elgin area and no problems.

Local dealer support in South Elgin could solve all your issues.

If you are serious about selling drop me a PM.

7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I dont know what the deal is. I think Tim Wallace Snow Plow Supply isnt the greatest dealer either. Im thinking of switching to western pro plus' 8.5 & 9 footers. I dont understand wtf is going on, Ive never had a problem before this year. As for selling them, I am going to get the fixed and operating fully before selling them. I wont sell them till april when we know the snow is completely over. If you are serious about purchasing them then we can start talking. I f you could throw me the dealers name and number that would be great. Thanks Ken

8. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

Just buy a speed wrench, problem solved

9. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Ken,

Sorry I missed you at the shop TWICE!!!! Glad that Eric got you up and running. You will be glad to have both those 810's during this up comming storm.

Let anyone in the area with Blizzard maintenace issue know RUSHING SNOW & ICE in South Elgin will step up and get you back in service. Even during a storm!!!

Ron G

10. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Yes I second the call to Eric. Great people and willing to drop what they are doing to fix you up during a storm. He bailed me out last storm when the front bracket to mount the motor snapped off. I called him and he was there with in an hour to re weld the bracket and get me going. And for me only being 10 min from my house helps a ton.

11. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Just one note to all Blizzard owners. ANY CONNECTION you have keep them greased. Its not that hard. For that matter an elec. connection that it going to be in the weather that a snowplow deals with LUBE IT. Your life will be much simpler in the end. Its call preventative maintenance, get use to it.

12. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

That would go for all plows and any electrical connection outdoors, trailer plugs ect. Just not a blizzard..

13. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Very true snowman. But I think the blizzards from what I have seen are more picky about the electrical system. Don't ask but I think its the white paint. lol

14. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

The blizzard have a ton of moving parts and way more electrical parts. The early plows have 7 cyls and 12 hoses and at least 10 coils. common sense says there will be more problems. I think the trade off for productivity is worth the extra maintenance and up keep. Just my opinion but I do sell them so It could be just me. Most of my customers feel the same way. They seem to buy more as the years go buy or upgrade to the new blizzards.I have quite a few customers that have 3 or more Blizzards.