1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mugged by a cop

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KissMyWake, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissMyWake

KissMyWake Junior Member
    from indiana

I am was headed back to the shop in the middle of a the storm when i saw berries in my rearview. So i pull over and the officer pulls up next to me in the middle of the road and gets out, walks over and asks how much to do his drive, so sight unseen i say 35$. He about fell over, then i tell him that i going back to the shop because my plow is broke and he never even looks at me as he drops 30$ on the seat and gives me his address and walks away.

I was completely shell shocked. I mean i dont need this kinda of crap. Then he was a jerk when i showed up, I dont think he expected me to charge him.
    WTF:confused:

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

lol thats funny, I would not have given him a price untill I see it, but I do that with everyone, I hope you charged him tax(if you got it) ;)

3. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

How big a driveway was it? What kinda' $$$ u think it was worth to do his driveway? How long did it take u to do it?

4. KissMyWake

KissMyWake Junior Member
    from indiana

small. maybe 5-6 minutes.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd givin you 35 bucks and a tix for that broken tail light you have.

6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Total abuse of power. Really gets under my skin.
    Just the other day a cop from another town but who lives a few streets away from me hit two teenage kids who were walking down the road. He was in his unmarked car and then proceeded to drive off. He just got charges brought up on him. I don't know the extent of the situation but I'm pretty sure he was trying to get away with it. I might be harder on cops in these situations but they need to be held accountable just like everyone else. Unfortunately, they do not feel the same way.

7. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I live petty close to where all this happed, I also am friends with the manchester chief of police. The officer who hit these two teens is a total scum bag.

8. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Cashin, where do you live? I'm literally 2 house from Chief Mara.

9. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I live on the same road as chief. Whet to school with his son.

10. M&M

M&M Senior Member

That's wild. We are neighbors. Two houses west of Mara. Red house on the corner.

11. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Small world. Just sent you a pm.

12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Considering the number of police officers, you are bound to get some bad eggs that slip through the process. However, to cite that "they do not feel the same way", suggest that you know what ALL police officers think. If I were to say that ALL plow operators drive like idiots, it would be just as inaccurate, and as ignorant as your comment! I personally watch a number of plow drivers violate traffic laws, during storms, but leave them alone because they have job to do. Maybe I should start ticketing for the most minor of offenses because THEY are not exempt from traffic laws, even though THEY feel that they are! See how stereotyping works!

13. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

So you got paid, and you had a somewhat difficult customer? Maybe you are in the wrong business if this really bothers you. I hardly think that this experience is accurately described by the term "mugged by a cop".

14. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Blueline, I get it. Honestly, I was on my tablet typing that reply and didn't feel like getting deeper into a whole soliloquy on my opinion.

Yes there are bad apples everywhere. Sure my blanket statement may have been unwarranted but the fact of the matter is that police officers need to be held to a higher standard because of the power they have. That is a necessity for our society stay "balanced."

When an officer is involved in an incident it instantly gets headlines. Why? Because society can't believe that someone who they put their trust in betrayed the society. I don't know the stats but I bet that cops are not involved in any more of these types of incidents that any other group. We hear about it more because of what they do for work. Good or bad, they are in the spotlight. People, myself included, remember the bad stuff more than the good stuff. (Last weekend the police and firemen played a hockey game that raised around $100K for a childrens hospital here in New Hampshire.)

I hear a lot of stories about officers who have the entitlement attitude like the OP's plowing situation. Maybe it's because it's in the news. It infuriates me. Just as much as anyone else in power abusing it. The bottom line is that officers are looked up to by the rest of society and need to be a role model whether they like it or not. Strong arming a plow driver is not a good look for any officer.

15. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but the OP could have said "no, I'm booked".

Instead he gave a quote, sight unseen.

What exactly did the cop do wrong? If the OP was upset about using his emergency lights to get a quote on his driveway, he could have chosen to not give him a quote. But since he did, he doesn't have a right to gripe. He got paid.

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

It seems as if you read that he was suggesting that all officers would act that way. From your username I suspect that you are a law enforcement professional, and I can see why you'd feel that way. What I read in "they need to be held accountable just like everyone else. Unfortunately, they do not feel the same way." was a suggestion that all officers do not want the level of accountability that would have prevented that abuse. Accountability is conceptually about doing the right thing and proving it, and I'm willing to bet that all the decent officers would agree with the concept. However, in practice it's endless paperwork keeping you from doing your job, and getting blamed when you did the right thing. I know our officers already deal with way too much of that as it is.

As a computer network administrator I deal with similar issues. I could spend all day documenting and accounting for my work and get only 5 minutes of work done in 8 hours, or I can proverbially "ride dirty" and get my work done. I try to strike the right balance, and I'm glad it's not dictated to me.

17. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

:confused: What do you mean what did the cop do wrong? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's illigal for an officer to use his emerg lights to pull over a person for no reason other then to get a quote to plow his driveway! Yes there was no harm done but still I'd be furious if a neighbor or anybody saw me pulled over by a cop. they dont know its just so he can get a quote, all they see is you looking like you did something wrong. I'm not going further into this, but I think the cop should not have pulled you over using his emerg lights. Just my opinion

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For the amount of crap I do ,while plowing and a cop flips on the light and ask me,no problem and you owe me one!

19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

When an officer pulls you over it can be pretty intimidating. Then when he starts talking about his driveway it's got to be confusing and scary. No agreement was ever made; the cop threw cash in the driver's window and disappeared before OP could even say "this is not what I quoted you". If the guy's behaving like that and you refuse, do you think he's going to say "Oh, I apologize, that was rude and inappropriate. Have a nice day."? I know I'd be afraid that someone who abuses his power like that would up the ante and start writing me tickets. Even if he wouldn't, you can be sure he'd remember that plow truck and pick on it in the future.

He could complain to that officer's supervisor, but there's a decent enough chance that he'll just make additional powerful enemies.

Even if there was a better choice one can't expect him to make it. On the spot, intimidated by a powerful person who shows disregard for his responsibilities, one can't be expected to make the kind of decisions that all of us together can figure out after the fact by discussing it here.

20. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Holycow, you made me laugh! I totally agree with your post. I do understand how you were trying to provide an example of the bs paperwork officers have to go through to do their job. I'm just busting your b@lls with this but a network administrator and a cop are TOTALLY different and I know very little about both professions. Just bustin', Holy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.