1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mud!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

What do you tell people when they are suffering through mud season? I know there is a lot of snow to melt, so it's going to keep making mud for a long time. Would it be a big waste to put down dry sand or stone dust, to kind of dry things up a bit?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Paving will cure that......;)
    or.
    You can have your drive re-graded with a mat and covered with 3'-6" of compacted limestone.

If you use salt or ice melt on a gravel drive it will make mud season even worse.

Mud season is a ways off yet.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My two bigger accounts are both gravel, but one is improved and while it gets muddy on top, it is hard an inch down so it doesn't rut up and you won't get stuck in it. Other one is just unimproved dirt lanes all throughout a horse farm, so they don't want it paved. That one is muddy right now anywhere the sun hits, to the point where they are not letting people drive through because of rutting it up. I'm hoping things will freeze up again, so that if we get more snow I can plow it easier. A snowstorm on top of this mud is a nightmare to plow. But as for right now it is mud season already. 40 degrees and big snowbanks melting.

My other lot I mentioned is unique in that almost all the snow is uphill from the driveway. It is a narrow driveway off a busy highway, then it opens up to the right and is wide open and square. So unfortunately due to the layout all the snow has to be pushed to the back and uphill. She had a drainage ditch installed around the back, but after the first couple of storms I fill that and started piling up above it. So 90% of what melts will be on the parking lot. She might be agreeable to paving or stone dust, Paving would be pretty pricy, but I bet I could do a nice stone dust job for her myself with a rented skidsteer. But she might not like that stone dust driveway pushed into the ditch next winter. Have to let her know it's going to be a yearly maintenance thing.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

o.k.

Then get over there and push the snow back away from the lot or drive so the melting snow does not drain on to the lot or drive.

stack all snow on the downhill side.

A dry drive will not turn to mud..

or relax as they have been muddy every year.