1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mud-terrains are great for plowing. Yeah, that's right

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SDlawndawg, Oct 11, 2002.

1. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

General Grabber AT's came stock with my 01 Superduty and I thought they would be good for plowing since they're skinny and are siped. Well, I used them until last season when a sidewall bulged out like it a had a tumor. I wasn't impressed by the tires at all and couldn't wait to get rid of them. I grabbed my summer tires out of the barn which are 285/75/16 Interco Trxus mud-terrains and slapped them on. I had reservations about them because of the larger lugs but as soon as I started my route I wished I had never taken them off. They gripped like nothing I had ever driven on. They are a mud-terrain tire that's siped, has a soft compound, and a relatively close tread pattern.

I was wondering if anyone else uses mud-terrains and has had the same luck. Oh- and the general grabbers are great..... for starting brush piles on the farm.:nod:

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

They used to be called Mud and Snows. I used General's Grabber MTs with similar results.

You stayed with the factory size, which is the smart thing to do. Many believe that wide tires allow for more traction, but in snow, the opposite is true. You want the smallest tire footprint to allow for the greatest psi to the ground to dig through the snow.

3. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i ran 33" super swampers on my truck the first summer i had it. they sounded like a small prop plane taking off down the runway. luckily i only got about 8000 miles out of them before they wore out and then put on a set of bfg all-terrains and never looked back. ive plowed every type storm you can think of and they are awesome. they grip better than any tire ive ever driven on icy pavement.

4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Well, actually 285's are a little larger than factory (235) but they still fit on the 7" rim. If they were on a wider rim I would definitely have a larger footprint. They crown slightly but wear pretty good at 60psi.

5. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

I also run BF Goodrich MUd- TErrains in a 33x12.5 which are actually 10" wide. They are awesome. The width is not a problem,
    the tires grip anything! You can literally drive up snowbanks! highly recommended!

6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

BF Gooodrich

I use BF Goodrich Commerical T/A Traction as dedicated snowtires . They are great for plowing I noticed they wear quickly but I guess that's a trade off. They are also available at wholesale clubs at a good price

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I have always used General Grabber MT's , never had a problem.

Very aggressive tread, makes for a very aggressive footprint in snow or mud.

8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Wider is better

I've said it & I'll keep saying it, wider is better when PLOWING SNOW. Not driving in snow but plowing snow as the blade has already cleared the snow down to the pavement the wider footprint will give alot more traction to push snow. When on ice it really doesn't matter as traction sucks both ways.

Now you have to decide if you want to drive to the job with better traction on unplowed roads or have more traction when you drop the blade & start plowing. Both ways work just fine, myself I'll take wider as my choice, 10" footprint works for me. :waving:

9. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

ohio i couldnt agree more, i run 12.50 wide bfg at's and many snows where my buddies were slippin and sliddin trying to plow i was have no trouble at all hooking up. they do however have a habit of floating of several inches of snow driving down the road if unplowed.

10. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

My 285's are about 11.5" wide and seem to grip well to everything except ice which is tough to deal with (except for chains and studs -now that would be fun).

I'm still expirementing with air pressures to find the best grip. Seems to make quite a difference. Thought about putting a limited slip in the rear but not sure it would be worth the payup