1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mud Flaps on plow trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Feb 21, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am curious if any of you put an aftermarket mud flaps on your truck that plows? I mean your personal everyday truck that you also use for business. I noticed that Chevy and Ford, and Dodge? full size pickup trucks does not comes with mud flaps from factory. My Chevy 2500HD did not. I am curious if there is a reason for this?

Last fall I bought an set of mud flaps for my truck, but have not put on it yet. It got me wondering because if you do snowplowing, then there would be some cases when you could be backing up the truck into deep snow or pile, which would cause the flaps to bend and perhaps get ripped off if backed up furthur. Would hate to see damages it could do to the body panel that the flaps would be attached to.

Here is the link to the company that I bought from.

When the flaps arrived to the door, I opened it and it was not what I expected. It looks like a big piece of solid plasitc cardboard. Very hard to bend. It is a really big flaps which could hang probably 6" off the ground. The rear flap is 14" wide by 22" long.

Do you guys ever add an aftermarket mud flaps to your truck? Should I return the flaps and forget about it? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. :)
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If they are hard platic,they will most likely get ripped off when plowing.The deep snow can bend them or pull them off.If they are soft rubber,like a plow deflector,you'll be much better off.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have custom fitted mudflaps from Husky for my 2500HD. they fit really well, and i havent had any problem with them bending off. Once you put them on though, you might as well plan on having them on forever, cause they will chafe the paint underneath em. you cant see them visibly, but if you bend the flap a little you can see. im very happy with my mud flaps, and they will bend and not wreck the body panels like you stated. i guess if you ever want to take em off, and dont want scratched fender flares, you could throw on a new set of flares.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Matt - if your having problem with the paint wearing through,try some of that clear plastic vinyl paint protector stuff they use on the bottom of the rockers and fenders now.It's easy to put on,and will stretch around corners if you warm it gently with a torch.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Stephen, check out my thread in the Ford Trucks section on this very subject. I haven't had good luck with Ford's offering and lost another during this past storm.
  6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Fire marshall Bill safety note ::::: you should never use open flame to heat an item....instead try using a hair dryer to warm up the item. Be safe and have fun plowing.

7. rec067

rec067 Member

I have the husky flaps on my 2500 hd. IMO there are the way to go. No problems, look great, work good(some always gets by and get the white paint dirty). All and all I would buy them again.
  8. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

In my new 2500HD, I got a Linex spray-on bedliner. Very nice. Rhino is a good brand, too, I hear. The Linex liner stuff is about ¼ inch thick. It's supposed to be self-healing if it gets cut, nicked, etc. I think there are kits you can buy to do your own roll-on or spray-on bedliner, but I guess they're a little thinner.

Anywho, the guys who did the work said that some people have the liner stuff sprayed onto the lower part of their truck to prevent stone damage, etc. I guess that's better than mudflaps that might break off (I have those, no problems so far). The liner stuff is black, and I guess it would look OK what with the black wheel splats and other black accents on the truck. The Rhino liners come in various colors I hear, so that's another possibility.

Just a thought from another vantage point (deep left field!).

from NJ

Mud Flaps

I run flaps on all four wheels.. I use the diamond plate aluminum ones up close to the body then I got tractor trailer rubber flaps and hung them down from the ones on the front so I get good coverage from rock s and such, the rear , I have the diamond plate alum ones in the wheel wels up close and then I fabbed a bracket to mount large rubber ones back by the bumper so that if I do back into a snow pile the flaps will not get caught between the pile and the tires... But they are good to have keeps all the crap, road salt slush and such off the truck and keeps the truck cleaner too while plowing and trevelling, so your visibility will be betteer...